Fg Offsets And Tyre Questions

Dillz

• Member For: 15y 2m 24d

Suppose I should ask again.

So I've found a nice of 19's to buy. They have tires already - but I'm waiting to hear back about the off-set tomorrow.

They're 9" Fronts 245's, 10" Rears 265's. I've asked for a general run down on profile and offset as to determine how they'll fit (if at all) - but I was under the impression that depending on what size wheel you go (19-20") you can go wider.

Sorry if I come across like a complete newb - I have read quite a bit of this thread already... and I've noticed quite a few people sticking very thick wheels in a 19/20" setup - with the exception tending to be 18's not being able to go as wide without poking or ridiculous off-sets. I just want to double and triple check before I spend my money - as I really don't want to accidentally purchase something that doesn't fit.

On a side note - some of the cars in here look ridiculously good with the wheel choices. Neotim's black ute was a standout for me. Amazing.

I got 245's in front and 285's rear with 35 offset all around and they fit. So if you play around with the offset you will get the stance you want. 25 front and 40 rear would work great

• Member For: 11y 7m 25d

Ahh okay that makes sense - thanks guys.

Hypothetically - if I get these 19's - are there are any profiles or offsets that I should be wary of? Or are most sensible setups going to work just fine?

I'll post the details here when I get them anyway.

I got 245's in front and 285's rear with 35 offset all around and they fit. So if you play around with the offset you will get the stance you want. 25 front and 40 rear would work great

This is where I am curious about offsets?

When you say 'play around' with the offset - is there a way for me to change the offset on a particular set of wheels. Or is that done prior to payment/purchase. Say for example, I bought used wheels that had xx offset - is there a way for me to 'play around' with that setting, or am I stuck with whatever the manufacturer made?

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 18d

If the wheels are a 2 or 3 piece then you can usually change the centres for a different offset, however if the wheel is forged or one piece then you have to choose the offset before buying

• Member For: 15y 2m 24d

You can ask the dealer to provide rims with different offsets for you to try out but without the tyre you want on it you cant get an accurate look.

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the center line of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

offsetdiagram1.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 19d

So im looking at some 20" Rohana RC5 rims for my FG GT.

Front only come in 9" with an offset of 35. Are these things going to fit?....

The Rears come in 9" and 10.5. Id like the widest tyre possible. Which should I go? Dam this wheel tyre business hurts me!... Just dont like the standard. Well I dont hate them but dont love them. Plus I need wider tread! Help :-)

• Like 1

So I have a bit more information regarding the 19's.

They're BSA wheels, 245/35/19 Fronts: 265/30/19 Rears.

Apparently around +35 offset. Used to sit on a skyline (same 5 stud pattern I assume?)

He has been using them with a 25mm + 10mm bolt on spacer to fit an S14.

So that does that sound reasonable to fit on a Falcon? I assume a wheel/tyre shop can remove the spacers and simply fit the wheels?

Thanks.