Fg Offsets And Tyre Questions

Dillz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 6d

The Michelin pilot sport cup 2 295 x 30 x 20" fit real nice on back the ute with near an inch from the guard and heaps of space on the inside, but maybe there's a bit more space in a ute over a sedan. Sorry don't know the offset as I was not original modifier. Got down under it to take some close up photos today and while dragging my fat arse off the ground, knocked mobile out of hand on tow ball and now it's funked. This Photo from a week ago. The mock plate is available, but would rather spend money on something useful like billet oil gears.

FyGSdBL.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Utes have HEAPS more space than sedans haha, so yeah, that'd be why... you can get some ridiculous offsets onto the back of a ute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 6d

Finnas said

Hahaha... only way I found is to not drive it :P

Nice setup. How do they go? I almost pulled the trigger on them but the got a great deal on the brembos from RBS.

Funny you should ask, cause the maiden run in car with previous owner driving, who clearly wanted to impress, smashed it up to 140+ in this tiny street with a small car puttering on up ahead before standing on the brakes, abs kicked in and at first wasn't sure if we were skipping on road, but it pulled up amazingly quickly, while I didn't make a noise, I was no doubt preparing to scream and/or push 1 out.

Afterwards he lamented he didn't have time to take me for a spin in 1 of his other cars, I don't think I would've got in. Here it is on dyno.

SPOILER ALERT its not a Ford

• Member For: 4y 7m

Jumbuck, very interested in your findings. How do you find the M/T's on the street? Or at speed (100kmh) motorway driving? 

I am looking at running a similar setup on my FGX, but hoping to use a 45 offset as this gives more wheel options, and I will have custom spacers made up to move the suspension arm inwards.

• Member For: 5y 1m 20d

I don’t drive in the rain all that often so cannot report on wet weather. From a safety standpoint, reports of friends with Street R’s (more extreme then Street ET) are that the tyres are fine to PUTT AROUND in wet conditions.

In dry conditions I was surprised how good traction has been. I run at 20 psi.

I cannot report as to cornering at this stage as I really only do straight line pulls in the time I have had the car on the road. For everyday driving I don’t see a change in characteristics having M/T’s on the back.

In terms of 100 km/h motorway driving I have polyurethane bushes throughout entire car, a Wavetrac diff, big tailshaft, stiffer shocks etc. The combination of this setup led to an increase in NVH noticeable after 80 km/h. I believe this is due primarily to the LSD floating during highway driving. They crave being loaded somewhat. The bushes amplify that. Nevertheless a switch to M/T’s have reduced road noise significantly due to them being much softer compound and run at 20 psi... so motorway driving is now much more pleasant hahaha. When you touch the tyre you will be able to push in on the compound. It feels as though you can leave an impression in the tyre when you push in but of course it just expands back out.

In terms of offset, my advice when moving below a +50 offset with a greater than 275 tyre is to proceed with great caution. You risk sitting outside the guards. Here is a photo of my setup at ET+40 (after putting a 15mm spacer in there to check how it would sit).

pGPr5uI.jpg

As pointed out above, M/T are probably closer to 295 or 305 when compared to regular tyres even though only marketed as 285...

• Member For: 4y 7m

Thanks for the response. Im running Tein coilovers all round (due Shockworks not avail here in NZ), CAT600 bushes and Nolathane centre, Wavetrac LSD, 4.11 diff gears and being manual I am exposed to my fair share of NVH. Good to know M/T's quiet things down, while new at least. My FGX is actually the XR8 so slightly wider wheel from stock 19x9 et43. Not sure if theres any change to rear end vs XR6? Maybe sway bar? 

Out of interest did you attempt to drive it while spaced 15mm as above? Looks like it would foul the guard but I know looks can be deceiving. If I cant run the 45 offset I may be left with no option but to get custom wheels like you have done $$$$$

Thanks again for your help