Fg Offsets And Tyre Questions

Dillz

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

yeah, that should clear... with a +35 8.5 you've got 5mm less clearance to the inner suspension and 7mm less clearance to the guard on the outside and I'm sure they'll fit over brembo's.

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 1m 21d
On 29/07/2019 at 11:42 PM, Jumbuck said:

advice re: 8.5 inch wheels on FG+ sedans.

fitted Work Emotion CR-2P to FG-X sedan.

- 19 x 8.5 w’ + 35 offset

Wheel fitted with 245 Pirelli P-Zero tyre which sits with 7-8mm clearance of suspension arm,

Beware if using the newer P-Zero PZ4 tyre as this tyre has a thick rim protector (10mm+) which causes the tyre to foul on the suspension arm (if using +35 offset - Talking from experience.

If anyone making custom order for wheels - and looking for near factory fitment, I would recommend offset of no less than +30 if opting for 8.5 inch wheel. Ensures any 245 tyre used will fit and not foul on suspension arm.

+35 will fit, but some high performance tyres with aggressive rim protectors may foul on inner side.

Here are some photos to further explain what I have written above.

FOUL FITMENT 

19 x 8.5 inch + 35 with Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 (new model) - rim protector is huge!

NBPRnV5.jpg

GOOD FITMENT 

19 x 8.5 + 35 with Pirelli P-Zero 

WJW6M7o.jpg

Finally, here is a photo of the wheels fitted.

Work Emotion CR2P gloss black dish and black rim.

171Tu2R.jpg

Here is a close up - I have since put the centre cap on.

mgRfqu4.jpg 

See below post for rear wheel fitment

Edited by Jumbuck
  • Like 1

• Member For: 5y 1m 21d

Advice re: 10 inch rims on FG+ sedans (fitting within guard).

I purchased the Superpro Rear Blade Control Arm Kit (Extra Clearance). It’s pricey, so my tip is to sign up as a trade member at supercheap and you should be able to get it around $850.

FgISD9e.jpg

The Superpro website suggests that wheels of the following specifications should be ordered to suit their kit:

- 19 or 20 inch rims x 10 inch wide

- with an offset between + 52 and + 55

- to fit a 295 or 305 tyre.

Relying on the advice on the Superpro website I ordered my Work Emotion CR2P wheels to the following specifications:

19 x 10 + 55.

As seen below when fitting the rim the distance between the shock and rim is a matter of a few mm - keep in mind this will increase as the suspension is compressed as the vehicle is lowered. So no need to worry about that.

iEXSFhl.jpg

The main concern will be clearance from the shock mounting bolt as this is what will come closest to the wheels when the suspension is compressed.

a1T9FQ9.jpg

Upon reviewing the instructions in the packaging (which were in fact different to what is stated on the website) it was suggested a maximum offset of +51 should be used. As the wheels were a 16 week special order I couldn’t ring Stav from down the road and ask him to adjust the offset for me by a few mm.

I had no choice but to order a 4mm spacer. I did so through BSA wheels in Sydney who custom machine spacers.

The spacers are machined hub centric and with an extended spigot ring to locate the rim onto the hub. I was surprised by the quality and fitment of the product (~$120 for pair).  Being 4mm in thickness I don’t have any safety concerns here. 

lVwNsIm.jpg

Also, the top shock bolt is now a few mm further away from the tyre when suspension is compressed.

03zrU6M.jpg

As seen below, rear blade control arm clearance of the control arm is no longer an issue with a wider rim.

8dtf3JZ.jpg

I decided on MT ET Street S/S tyres with 285/35 tyres. 

3uahYKl.jpg

As to width.

4k6Hilf.jpg

AoJPLcg.jpg

(mudguards since removed).

uYSSsJl.jpg

As to guard clearance, the combination does not foul on the the guards whatsoever. There is a visible clearance of at least 4mm to the outer guard.

In summary, I cannot offer advice on 20 inch rims.

For 19 inch rims I would suggest the following when using the rear control arm shown above:

19 x 10 + 51 paired with a 285 tyre.

If you want to use a 295 or 305 check how much wider that would be as compared to a M/T ET Street S/S as I feel this tyre is pushing the boundaries of what would fit next to the top shock mounting bolt.

In terms of traction, this setup is a dream. Manual in excess of 500rwkw and it simply does not lose traction. Saying that I have a number of other suspension changes to assist (wavetrac, shockworks, full bush upgrade).

Tyres at 20 psi when seeking maximum traction which I bump up to 30 psi for longer drives.

hopefully this saves people a lot of ****ing around because getting this right drove me crazy. a lot of $$$ for 10mm extra width on both sides and that’s a valid point, but do not regret it whatsoever as I love the setup,

Edited by Jumbuck
  • Like 6

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

You don't require as much clearance as you would think.  I ran a 20x10 2mm from the control blade and it never touched.  

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

Great write up mate !

something to be mindful of is the fact M/T’s in all street and super street layout are vastly wider on the tops and really splay out hard ! 

A 285 M/T would definitely be comparable to a 295 no worries especially as most tyres typically don’t over hang the rim edge whereas it’s obvious the M/T’s do !