Help buying a second hand XR6-Turbo

TangyTaco

• Member For: 7y 3m 3d

Hi, I'm considering buying a second hand xr6 turbo and was just wondering if any of you could help me with some pointers on what to look out for, for example how many kilometres is too much? on average when do parts start to blow? My budget on only 5k and most cars at this price usually have over 170'000 on the meter which is why I would like some help on what to look out for. Thanks

• Member For: 7y 10m 30d

For that cash you'll find heaps of sh*tboxes or half arsed modified BA's. 

Keep saving and look for a BF2 or a BF with a build passed 06/2006. They came with the stronger rods so if you plan on modifying it they're the safer option. 

In saying that if you found a mint BA MK2 manual with full service history I would snap it up. 

Have a read around here before you go shopping also. There is heaps of info here. 

If you're unsure post up the cars you're looking at and we'll give you an opinion. 

Welcome. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Rob83R I found this one one gumtree and was just wondering if you could have a look at it http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kinross/cars-vans-utes/ford-falcon-xr6-turbo/1135897707. Also I don't plan on doing any modifications to the car, just want a good daily driver. Thanks

IMO it's a bit rich but I'm a tight arse. 

There's a gentlemen on here that has a bf2 that has 360rwkw and he picked that up for $6500 bit over 6 months ago. @skidxr6t owns it. 

One big tip is these things look really good in pics. Up close might be a different story. 

Best bet would be to go check it out and take it for a drive. 

Have you driven these things before? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

I thought that didn't look too bad myself but it definitely could have a few grand worth of maintenance needed as could any car. 

There is something to be said for waiting until a bargain comes along though and not buying the first car you see or test drive. 

Edited by Puffwagon
Changed "to" to "too".

I haven't actually been in the drivers seat of one of these cars before but I've been in the back, it sucks how I only have this small budget for a car but I'm trying to get something decent that still has power. 

Edited by TangyTaco

Like puff said it might be ok. But more than likely will need bushes front and rear, ball joints and shocks as a minimum. If it's been looked after it's a score. 

For a stock car they're fairly quick. They're not crazy but they get the job done. They're no rocket ship and the power is very linear. 

In the BA the auto is sh*t. They bang gears for no reason. The diff will more than likely whine like a taxi. 

If you're not far from it take it for a run and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

The owner may be willing to let you take it for a safety inspection at pedders or ultratune for a cheap general check over. 

Fwiw I had to drive a 130km round trip to look at my car and test drive it then did the same trip a few days later to pick it up.

Imo with your budget you should inspect every car that you are able to purchase. There will be sh*t boxes and there will be a gem out there waiting for you. 

Obviously saving more money would be ideal but that is up to you. 

• Like 1