Turbo Engine into Wagon questions

turbogoon

• Member For: 7y 4m 2d

Hi Guys,

As the title states I'm hoping someone on here can answer a few questions about the conversion I'm about to undertake on my BF wagon.

I've already purchased a wrecked BF turbo 6speed manual ute from the auctions to donate engine, diff and other bits and pieces into the goon, note I still want to retain the btr not the manual tranny.

The main problem I've got is what PCM can I use in the goon? I talked to the tuner I'll be taking it to after the conversion is finished and he told me to use the turbo computer as it obviously has the ability to control the wastegate, and I also noticed 2 relays in the fusebox for controlling thermo's rather than the single relay in the goon.

I've emailed someone regarding flashing the ute pcm to hopefully control the btr but apparently can't be done. So I asked if I could use the PCM out of a 6speed auto, which apparently the answer is no as well. Which leads me to thinking I have to use the PCM out of a BA, but from what I understand the BA only uses 1 knock sensor instead of 2 in the BF (possibly other features different as well)

So am I better to use the BA PCM, or use the current NA PCM in the goon with aftermarket boost control or something else?

If the BA PCM is the way to go will it be able to be succesfully coded to the bf bcm/icc?

Hope this all makes sense, just want to get this all sorted before I start pulling the goon apart as its my work car.

TIA,

Dean

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

That does all make sense and while I don't have the answers myself some guys here can definitely give you solid advice. 

What I can offer is a recommendation to check out the hp tuners forum. There is a lot of specific tuning and non bolt on modifying advice over there. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

If you want to retain the BA manual PCM, then you'll have to use a manual gearbox. If you want to source a BA auto PCM then you can use the 4spd automatic.

Some people have the ability to stuff around with PCM's to make them auto/manual, but it's not as easy as sourcing the right PCM.

My advice is get/convert a compatible BA turbo PCM and make it compatible with the gearbox setup that you want (either by purchase or setting up of the PCM itself) and go with that. The factory boost control is much nicer to have than stuffing around with aftermarket (barring a few specific scenario's that you're unlikely to need.

Have a read of this thread to get an idea on wagon setup (later pages) -> http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/54223-crapri-drag-car/

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

Not taking away from that advice but rather adding to it, I've found aftermarket boost control a breeze to set up compared to the stock ford stuff when learning from scratch.

On the plus side the stock stuff does work for 99.9% of applications and is free.

I don't know about every pcm but mine has the option of making it manual or auto by ticking a box and inputting trans specs. Mine is designed for the zf though and I don't know what strategies can be flashed into it. It may not be able to run a btr and that's where I'd agree with using the specific ecu for the trans.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d
2 hours ago, turbogoon said:

Hi Guys,

As the title states I'm hoping someone on here can answer a few questions about the conversion I'm about to undertake on my BF wagon.

I've already purchased a wrecked BF turbo 6speed manual ute from the auctions to donate engine, diff and other bits and pieces into the goon, note I still want to retain the btr not the manual tranny.

The main problem I've got is what PCM can I use in the goon? I talked to the tuner I'll be taking it to after the conversion is finished and he told me to use the turbo computer as it obviously has the ability to control the wastegate, and I also noticed 2 relays in the fusebox for controlling thermo's rather than the single relay in the goon.

I've emailed someone regarding flashing the ute pcm to hopefully control the btr but apparently can't be done. So I asked if I could use the PCM out of a 6speed auto, which apparently the answer is no as well. Which leads me to thinking I have to use the PCM out of a BA, but from what I understand the BA only uses 1 knock sensor instead of 2 in the BF (possibly other features different as well)

So am I better to use the BA PCM, or use the current NA PCM in the goon with aftermarket boost control or something else?

If the BA PCM is the way to go will it be able to be succesfully coded to the bf bcm/icc?

Hope this all makes sense, just want to get this all sorted before I start pulling the goon apart as its my work car.

TIA,

Dean

Run BA PCM (tuned correctly)

Turbo TMAP

External Boost control

Any other avenue will result in bulk stuffing around for little gain and generally at great cost.

• Like 2

• Member For: 7y 4m 2d
9 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Run BA PCM (tuned correctly)

Turbo TMAP

External Boost control

Any other avenue will result in bulk stuffing around for little gain and generally at great cost.

Thanks for the replies everyone. At the moment I'm leaning more towards finding a BA turbo auto PCM, but still not sure whether it will link up with the BF BCM and whether it matters about the knock sensor thing I mentioned earlier? also I remember reading BA's don't have true VCT whereas the BF motors do? 

So why would I swap to a BA PCM then run external boost control?

The wagon is a BF, so did you mean run the standard goon PCM with turbo MAP sensor and external boost control?