Fuel pressure reg for walbro e85 in tank.

• Member For: 7y 6m 14d

Looking at making the move to e85 in the xr6. I was using it in my r33, and I'm one of the converted.

I currently have a walbro 255 (was told it was walbro, could be stock pump, have not removed pump to confirm) in tank feeding a 044 and 60lb injectors, but car has no surge tank (Bought like this) but rather than add a surge tank and a second 044, Im looking at just going to a single walbro e85 in tank, feeding a set of 1000cc injectors.

Ive read that they need a different reg because base pressures are higher, but no one has gone into it any further what they are. 

Can anyone confirm what ill need?

There's 3.3 bar pressure regs available online/ebay, or do I need to grab a KPM one? Herrods have them too? Had a search but didn't really come up with much.

Or do I not worry about it and just tune around it?

Cheers lads.

Edited by Ben_BAXR6

Id normally be inclined to agree with you, but Id need a surge with two pump outlets, and then go to a twin feed rail etc, and I still don't know whats in the tank. Age etc as well.

Just a lot easier to go with 1 pump in the tank, and drop in injectors and reg and be done with it.

• Member For: 7y 10m 29d

I think that's what most of these boys have done. 

Walbro 460 id1000s and a reg to suit. 

Have a look through here might be some answers

and here 

Matty almost runs exclusively on e85

You like that thread linking didn't you keefy? I suspect there's half a mongrel going on right now. 

• Like 2

Been through both those threads, cant really find any mention of pressure regulators (Im going to guess that MattyP will have KPM's reg as he has their pumps)

Im pretty certain I'm going to follow suit with single pump/1000cc's, just unsure about the reg.

The fuel pump has to come out regardless due to fuel sender dying, and I was going to retune for 400 or so on 98 with the 044 and 60lb's, but may as well kill two birds (and the engine block/rods) with the one stone.

Impressive linking is impressive haha.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 23d

all depends how your afrs are once you do the mods to accommodate e85. also what your tuner feels you need.

a surge for e85 is pretty much standard practice now though.

ive got stock in tank. surge with bigger fuel pump stock rail and reg. 

• Like 1

What main pump are you using?

A single 044 won't make the power my setup is capable of, so I'll need to add a second pump, as well as a surge etc, so it'll be easier and more cost effective to go to the single walbro.

I know the walbro/1000cc setup will be enough for what my turbo can do, just not wanting to have pressure issues on idle, and I couldn't find any sort of 'hard facts' on the matter. Some say it's fine, others reckon you need a different reg, others have said they modded it, as well as the tank return etc as well.

just looking for some more solid info.

• Member For: 7y 10m 29d

Iirc Jet has used a number of different regs. 

Depends what your setup needs. I've seen him use fpr800 for one setup then a 1200 for another and even 2000. 

That's going to depend on your power level and tuner. 

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

Correct !

I select FPR's based on what pumps and set up's im running 

everyone has opinions on what's the best and I've used a large variety of combinations over the years and I have my "Go to's"

for ~400rwkw on E85 a simple 255/044 ( intank/surge ) can be tuned around without to many dramas on a stock reg ( not perfect but doable )

a well built system is expensive, no questions but when it comes to fuel supply it's worth it 

if I'm building a system today for a customer and keeping it simple I'll run a 255 intank and an undercar surge tank ( Plazmaman ) with a Pierberg pump connected to a Plazmaman rail and a FPR1200 by Turbosmart.

I dislike "Hi Flow" drop in regs as they are never precise as advertised and cost as much as an FPR sometimes 

all in all this is definately a question for your Tuner :) 

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 1m 5d

Hey guys interesting topic this one, just my two bobs worth my bf11 makes 400 rwkw on e85 and 372 rwkw on bp ultimate with an in tank 460 walbro and Bosch 1000cc squirters and no issues at all.

No surge tank used, tuned by Joe @ cms.

Edited by mrmickyd