Rate my flapper port

JamieB

• Member For: 10y 9m 11d

I checked it with a torch and it is leaking on the lower spot near the flap arm...
It has also got jammed a few times when fiddling with it and stayed open under its own weight.
I thought paying a so called professional to do the job would yield a better result then trying it myself; obviously not..
The tune is being done by one of my good friends (no dodgy)
But I am WAY out west so can't just pop down the road to get a housing or tune..

Would this housing be salvageable?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

d4ea11a4c81b1d7e43c91e1c2e1841e0.jpgce0d8562f9bcbdb25ebb2e26f53bcac8.jpg

• Member For: 8y 4m 12d

Hi Guys, 

I have to put in my two cents, for what it's worth. Unless you've machined hundreds of housings it's hard to explain, every genuine Garrett and aftermarket turbine housing have offset holes (closer to the flapper arm, or closer to the turbine wheel, which give you the required clearance against the sidewall (flapper arm side)

This is why they have offset or "out of round" holes. A near perfectly round hole will not maximise the space available for porting and will appear as a "oval".

Also we test the "stickyness" at the correct angle of where the turbine housing is clocked. (sometimes on a flat surface it won't stick, but mount to the car and clocked correctly it will stick)

All theyre all milled, I don't have all day to cut at it with a die grinder.

The mating surface area machined flat and any high spots are machined down. The tolerance between the flapper facr and flapper seat (where it seals) is extremely tight and may show signs of "light" even if it's 0.01MM off.

We've run these housings on cars making over 500rwkw. We supply Maxx Performance (10s for 10k Car full-body video), at some points APS in Frankston, John at forced performance, independent motor sports etc. And have had 0 issues with flapper modifications.

I have let the customer know if he is not happy I can exchange it, cos his peace of mind.

I take issues like this seriously.

Cheers guys and Merry Christmas!!

Edited by RaceEquipped

• Member For: 10y 9m 11d

I can confirm he has offered to exchange the housing which based on the opinion here I will be taking him up on.
- I'll add that I hadn't contacted race equipped before creating this thread and only done so to get some opinions,not to flame his business.
The step in the flapper seat is quite substantial and this is the only place I can see any real light leakage, and the flapper jamming is also concerning..

• Like 1