Power, how much is too much?

[THOMMO]

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d

Funny you say that. I've got speed holes in the bonnet, custom mount shocks in the 5 link clearly visible from the back end, a big CMS sticker and plenty of shiny under the bonnet with a loud as fark exhaust and I've never been asked to pop the bonnet or even had an officer want to look.
I think it's more about your attitude when your pulled over.

• Like 3

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

^haha E2C.....im just waiting to get pulled over for letting the car flutter infront of a copper!

and I agree ozy, the attitude test is very important. it starts when the cop first sees you on the road so I doubt you were driving like a tool when you got pulled up :)

Edited by skidxr6t

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 2m 25d

I've only been defected once in my fg , I was running drag radials at the time. 

Around my area they have a blitz every now and then . They set up an rbt and defect cars.

I got pulled over once at an rbt in my c-ommodore  ute . I had two cartons of beer in the back . They didn't breath test me , they just defected my ute.

Edited by LU82

• Member For: 7y 8m 25d

@[THOMMO]

I have had mods get me to 3 power levels in my BF 07 manual over the last 8-9+yrs

1st 270rwkw 98- much better then standard still plenty of traction unless dumping clutch hard - was fun but not quite enough (recommend this over standard anyday)

(injectors - tune - cooler- valve springs - in tank pump)

2nd 353rwkw 98- (Dump+cat done as it was the biggest restriction) also had a set on Nitto invo's 265/30/19 and the tune wasn't crazy aggessive. This was the best level for power/traction but the car did spin a little at high end revs in first from a stand start but once it was through to second the power was better put to the ground

(1st stage + 4"dump and cat)

3rd 445rwkw e85 - Crazy! no traction what so ever in 1st and 2nd and depending on tyre heat it can still feel a little lose into 3rd.

I have the Standard turbo and as soon as boost starts it make the tyres FRY!! The Nitto Invo's just shred !!

They were great for 350 but now their terrible. Looking at Toyo r888's to see if I can get some more traction.

( 1st+2nd + sh*t loads ) I have a thread

I mean 600hp is hell fun but I am of the belief that if you cant get traction then why the hell do you want more power? skids yer! but flat out quick ? no, well kinda.... but lots of crazy wheelspin

It goes like this imo ...... traction? yes, ok then I need more power. Then wheelpsin? yes -> ok I need more traction ... can u get more traction yes? ok then add more power. If you cant then what do u want anymore power for?

The 2nd stage was the best for street imo and I felt I could drive the car more. Now with 445/600hp you cant really use all of what you have and is a little excessive in a manual on the street.

That said if your not in boost then you have no problem. My Mrs dose not have any issues as she never boosts.

that's said an FG Auto is a different world that I don't of so I cannot comment on that

• Like 4

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Depends if you want to be quick, fast or just go sideways and do burnouts. 

I personally  don't care about 1/4 mile times

Traction isn't an issue.  Just don't put your foot down so hard. 

And just leave the car home when it rains. 

Edited by arronm

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Because unless on really sticky tyres it's hard to be quick in a high powered car. Being fast is a whole different thing.  Nothing like being pinned in the seat in 5th 

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 6m 4d

Why not all of the above ?

Because sideways & burnouts tend to get your car taken off you over here, I know from speaking with friends that even industrial areas are being targeted more often on weekend's for hoon behavior now.

I've never been pulled up for anything except booze busses & then only once in over two years, I know another forum member has been pulled up a few times & he's in his 40's & I don't believe he has an attitude problem.

I do believe though that the G6ET doesn't get as much attention as XR6T's seem to do, so maybe that's part of it.