Piping and Cooling Changes

REI600

• Member For: 7y 5m 30d

Hey Guys,

Been doing some looking and reading into the idea of chucking an under battery CAI, a TB relocation (process west) and then grabbing a HDi Hybrid cooler. I'd read that for "stock" cars, the Hybrid coolers are fine which was nice to read. I am not looking to break records or do mad skids, just improve what I have and make it work more efficiently than they did from factory.

Not all the pipes are going to match what I have planned but, I'll likely get the basic cooler and have some piping made to save that becoming an issue.

Question I have is this -- On the BA, BF and FG - How much different are the mounting points and space available for the coolers?? Reason being, The physical sizes are quite different and mounting points seem to be different as well. Only going off of the "KITS" you can get.

Can you chuck an FG cooler onto a BA and deal with the mounting in a fairly straight forward manner?

If this question has been asked before, which I've no doubt it has been, I appreciate your patience. I did have a hunt but nothing really popped up as an answer for this question.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BA Intercooler Kit

Bf Intrecooler Kit

FG F6 Intercooler Kit

Edited by REI600
left out some things and a spelling error.......

• Member For: 7y 10m 30d

Money makes anything fit. 

Fg has the cooler inlet and outlet angled outwards. 

I believe BA-F are straight. 

Just get model specific kits if you're not good with the fabrication or have a relo good on the tools. 

I reckon with a bit of "tweaking" you could make an fg cooler fit. Like I said money makes anything fit. 

Personally I I like those hdi kits as an upgrade. For street cars they're a good bang for buck upgrade. They won't fall over in one run. Maybe 2 back to back but this is the streets and we don't roll like that. 

Whats the over all plan? 

I've got an idea for the cold side pipe that doesn't use the throttle relo. 

If you use that off the shelf relo kit you'll have to go custom on the cold side if using a hybrid kit. 

That bf kit looks good. Very similar to the fg minus the hot side pipes. 

cmkr3Bo.png

that's my idea I have for a cold side. Stolen of course. 

Edited by ROB83R

On 17/11/2016 at 0:49 AM, ROB83R said:

Whats the over all plan?

Overall plan for her is to simply getting her running efficiently. Get her breathing and out smoother and just working without increasing stress or risk of breakages.

Money DOES make anything fit. This is a road I've just diverted from (for now). My name's sake is a project that I've chosen to... put on permanent ice for now:

Datsun 1600 running a 13b turbo rotar with BIG fun factor. I'll re-attempt it one day when things are more settled.

As for the different kits, the BF and FG coolers look like they'd do a fine job. More so than the smaller (allbeit deeper) BA version.

That setup pictured looks like the goods. Would do the same job as the relocation kit. I imagine it'd be considerably cheaper as well. That something "off shelf" or custom fab job? How is the height clearance on this kit??

• Member For: 7y 10m 30d

You can get proven name brand kits for similar price to that hdi kit but they're 2nd hand. Nothing wrong with 2nd hand but. 

If you're just looking for something that's going to be better than stock and you're not drag racing or doing track days I don't see a problem with that hdi kit. They're on eBay also. 

I have been looking at the TB relocatoin. Makes things a lot simpler. But, recently saw the engine bay on an F6. The intake manifold SEEMED a lot simpler than the one on my rig...

Does the F6 intake mani fit on the BAs with minimal fuss??

Aside from that idea... I'd be keen enough to just get the relocation and get things simpler that way.

Didnt I say Intake Manifold..?? Thought I had. Yeah, I am looking into making a few piping changes and this MIGHT be a say to simplify some of it.

I am not at all familiar with the fuel setup on these yet so, I'll have to check that out... Not really something I want to much with if I

don't have to.