NOT QIK - FG XR6T Manual Ute

samhouston

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 20d

Yeah I was very happy with the end result, but the development isn’t going to stop just there.

Basically the difference between the last build and this one was a new cooler and intake, dry sump, but most of the power gains have to be attributed to the cylinder head.

We are seeing well over 300CFM through the inlet side, and we made peak power at relatively low RPM to what I have seen people revving these engines too.

The engine still retains a factory crank and standard stroke at this stage, and all the tuning is done via SCT with the standard ECU.

Colin is a wizard with these cylinder heads and I’m stoked that he tells me he has heads coming in the door from all over.

I will try and keep this a bit more up to date :)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 17y 10m 3d
On 12/8/2018 at 12:25 AM, samhouston said:

Yeah I was very happy with the end result, but the development isn’t going to stop just there.

Basically the difference between the last build and this one was a new cooler and intake, dry sump, but most of the power gains have to be attributed to the cylinder head.

We are seeing well over 300CFM through the inlet side, and we made peak power at relatively low RPM to what I have seen people revving these engines too.

The engine still retains a factory crank and standard stroke at this stage, and all the tuning is done via SCT with the standard ECU.

Colin is a wizard with these cylinder heads and I’m stoked that he tells me he has heads coming in the door from all over.

I will try and keep this a bit more up to date :)

We were rather surprised at the amount of increased flow in the head, when we did mine. I have been advocating the benefits of cylinder head work for some time, but 99% of responses I get are "Just throw more boost at it instead"... It's good to see others seeing the light and realising the benefits.

Out of curiosity, what size valves did you use?

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 20d

Power is all made in the head, I am using a 10 year old turbo and standard ECU, so I’m pretty impressed with how it’s all gone.

I am using 1mm oversize inlet valves and standard exhaust valves.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

If Colin did it, the valves would most likely be standard. He is a master and its not all bigger is better. Awesome work on all variety of V8's and all motors as well. 

$1800 for xr6t head 'street port' with springs supports up to 1200rwhp on e85.

Edited by adams355

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d
1 hour ago, k31th said:

spool is so gradual... torque is nice above 3500rpm, though.

Unless it was tuned like that it is not a good example of headwork. I would suggest that the head has been over (full) ported and/or valve size was increased unnecessarily. Its not just about flow. Its about velocity, even with turbo. Especially with stock cam.

Edited by adams355