Built tail shaft advice and specs needed.

HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 11m

I have finally found some motivation and it is now time to finish the car. In saying that, I need some advice on components required to build a bullet proof tail shaft. 

I remember reading some posts may years ago, which referenced 1350 yolks and from memory some Porsche components  were used. I called diff Technics some time ago and spoke to them about a carbon fibre and I'm still on the fence with that idea. As my exhaust is close to the shaft, heat may be an issue and I don't want to change the exhaust again.

So, any advice or recommendations with the materials and parts required would be greatly appreciated. Let's get the old girl going.....

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 28d

I don't know much but I like lowering the IQ of threads so I'll start by saying I would totally go carbon fiber, it should cope with the heat fine.

For my cars power (360kw), final drive engineering said all I needed was my stock shaft rebuilt (new front section, center bearing, uni) which I had done cause it quit life on way home from buying it (nailed 2nd lol). So of course we are talking about seriously high HP?

What are you planning to do about the donut bush between the transmission flange output and the shaft? I keep hearing people saying to go for a billet replacement then people saying don't go for it.

Edited by skidxr6t

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 25d

chrome moly tube is the way to go.

The company I work for makes tail shafts.

bad news is they are in Cairns.

Give them a call and ask for "young Matty" and he will tell you exactly what you need.

http://www.cashcor.com.au/driveline-services.html

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 7d

Hardy spicer just built mine for $1200 and 2yr warranty. 

Told them the ute will be running close to 500rwkw and 1200-1500nm and they said it wont twist.

nnt sure what they did exactly but its seem tight as a rock in the car as of yesterday.

Havent driven it yet to confirm its a banga 

Edited by BAXRTUTE

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 28d

with those ginormous sticky rear tyres, did you also upgrade the diff? are you still going for the billet donut bush replacement?

Edited by skidxr6t

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 7d

Dan has told me before, his a switched on fella young Dan. his given me plenty of info along the way and heaps on suspension set up... this is why his left shocks at cms for me when I can get down there in a few weeks time.