just made it!! Ba mk2 F6

RJF6

• Member For: 7y 5m 22d

Hey Guys, Ive bought myself a BA mk2 F6 two weeks ago, It has a couple of goodies but is also giving me a headache,

I bought the car knowing it had 60lbs injectors, high flow cats and a sct x4 flash tuner, the car makes 302kw which is pretty good considering the lack of mods (as far as I know being a barra Noob)

Issue 1 some times under load the car just feels flat and well short of 300kw other times its a beast

Issue 2 under WOT in 4th Im sure I'm hearing a ping from time to time so I'm just not doing that anymore, and in my years of owning turbo cars its the worst ping I've heard on one of my cars

Issue 3 the crappy intake pipe from the turbo keeps coming out of its counter part on top of the engine sucking in unfiltered air

I'm trying to get a copy of the dyno sheets from the tuner showing boost, he has told me it spiked to 15psi and then dropped back to 13psi.

With standard Cooler and Exhaust (-cat) am I at max power or is there more in it?

My plan is to have it retuned at another workshop just wanted to know if there is anything I should do first?

Thanks Guys

P.S trying to post up graph but don't yet know how to

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

g'day welcome to the forum, I'm the forum 'hoon' who claims to do skids all the time but never uploads a skid video. I always demand them from others though :stirthepot:

I'm not a mechanic but heres some things I'd do in your situation:

-check over all the pipework for leaks starting from the turbo outlet.

-start looking for leaks on the turbo exhaust and manifold. some steps: 1. remove heat shields 2. check for any missing or loose bolts. 3. run the spanner over everything. 3.5 skin knuckles and belt out some swearwords for the neighbours to hear 4. ideally use a torque wrench for manifold to head bolts but can just do it by feel if you're experienced.

-check clamp alignment on the turbo intake. on mine I had the clamp too far back and cause I don't run a blowoff valve it would pop the pipe off. realignment of clamp and everything is sweet.

-check service records, see if fuel filter has been done recently/at all. Get it replaced when you see a tuner. the in tank fuel sock could be dirty too. make sure tank is full of fresh BP 98. get all fluids replaced if funds allow.

maybe you might have bad coil packs if the engine is being a slut under load. I don't know about 'pinging' though. but again I'm not mechanic. You could pull them out, visually inspect for cracks and check the sparkplugs while you're there.

definitely get it looked over by a tuner workshop, somebody will come along and recommend one for where you live. But all of what I've said can be done without a tuner and save money.

Edited by skidxr6t
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, they are some good suggestions skid I'll try and get some time on the weekend to go over everything, will changing the actuator help with maintaining steady boost? I was thinking of changing to a 12psi turbosmart one, I've been reading missed results and fixes to boost spike/control issues on these cars, if I can make the tuners job easier I will by changing or replacing anything problematic, 

as for it having inconsistent power delivery I think it's in the tune, maybe some days I'm getting r&r and others I'm not? maybe heat soaked intercooler/ engine bay, as I said I'm a noob with these cars and have no idea on when the standard components reach their limits 

Edited by RJF6

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Hello mate and welcome.

Issue 1 imho is probably in the tune. When the intake air gets too hot the tune can be setup to command a lower boost level and also pull timing and add fuel.

Issue 2 sounds tune related too but could be other factors involved ie: fuel quality, oil from blow by etc. Sounds like you know well enough not to let it knock until you get it sorted.

Issue 3 has been covered by  skidxr6t. I'd also recommend cleaning any oil that will be in the pipe.

Symptoms of coil pack failure is the same as having a plug gap too large eg: missing when the boost is wound up or the tune is richened up. I don't think this is a problem for you.

Here is the thread about adding pictures.

I've only owned my car for just over 18 months but I can tell you that you are in the right place to find information if you don't mind spending the time searching.

• Like 3

The coils and plugs are new and the car is not miss firing, I think the lack of power on and off is from the tune being to aggressive for my lack of mods, I just don't know enough about the cars limits to know what components are letting it down, or even if it is just a sh*t tune and everything else is ok, apart from the suction pipe coming off all the time (stupid plastic crap) 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Have a read of jets tuning thread.

It'll take an afternoon to get through but you'll find most of your answers or links to them in there.

Of course there is plenty more information on offer in the rest of the site. 

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

I have issue number 1 in my stock BF. 

After a good flogging it comes on boost instantly. 

It could be 1 heatsoak or 2 something in the tune like puff said or 3 boost control issues or 4 valve springs. 

For the rest of your problems I would get it ran up on a dyno to see where it's at just to be safe. 

A quality intercooler kit would go a long way here I reckon along with a retune. 

All other suggestions are worth looking at also. 

• Like 2