Performance/Sports Exhaust

Johnmal

• Member For: 7y 11m 4d
1 hour ago, JETURBO said:

You guy's crack me up

not everything is $100 in the car game and yes a "good" stainless system tig welded is expensive, no mot an X force but if you start adding varex mufflers it can stack up 

He's already got half the system. Another $700 for the other half fitted. Where's the other $3300? 

Some people are stupid and would put up the $4k thinking they're in front with a better setup. 

Am I right in saying that $1500 exhaust would suffice for 99% of our needs? 

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

I asked my tuner at the time what he thought of X-Force and he said "they are okay but only okay".  I wanted a nicer quality system so I bought a Manta 2x2.5" turbo back mild steel exhaust for $1800... but I got good price through an ex forum member in WA - saved $500 on what the Manta site above quotes, though this was also six years ago.

If you've got the coin to burn on full custom I'm not going to stop you and I wish I was the same, but I agree with the thinking that for the other 99% of us the kits are the way to go.  You don't get many advantages with full custom that I know of.  

Varex mufflers that open wider would need to do so automatically so the tune could behave the same each time right?  Or at least tune for wide open mode, and then you'd have to hope you remember not to get up it when it's closed if that's even an option?  I know it's been discussed here before but I can't recall the outcome.

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

The thing inexperience gives is the initial knee jerk to spending and having the outlook "he got ripped off" when someone else's spent. Fact is... Yes FACT is you will very rarely hear someone spend big on a custom item and it's junk where as a cheap item will regularly be junk 

X-Force is widely regarded as a "cheap" poor quality item, but does do the job flow wise 

Manta is widely regarded as top quality and amazing lifespan even in mild steel 

then there's custom work.... 

This Dump pipe that was custom built for a 6466 precision was over $1000 just for the part you see ..., what do you think the rest of the exhaust cost ?

KHEIExV.jpg

did it knock, bang and fit poorly, no 

did it sound sh*tty, no 

will it last under extreme temperatures being 304 high grade stainless and not crack, yes 

would you get this from any of the cheaper dump systems on the market... No 

know what you're buying and why. Not often is it a complete rip off when a talented fabricator is on the job and his skill and material quality is in the mix 

these headers are $4000 a set and drag teams buy three or four sets at a time, why because the cheaper sets don't even last a meeting letalone a season 

N7PP0cn.png

Edited by JETURBO
  • Like 2

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Good info Jet.  It does look tasty, but good fitment and sound are things you'd expect to get in the nicer off the shelf systems?  So that leaves extreme temperature resistance as an advantage over the rest.

If you are building a monster car that will kill even a good quality off the shelf system...awesome!  Exhaust cost would scale up along with built engine and driveline as well so it makes sense in that case.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JETURBO said:

The thing inexperience gives is the initial knee jerk to spending and having the outlook "he got ripped off" when someone else's spent. Fact is... Yes FACT is you will very rarely hear someone spend big on a custom item and it's junk where as a cheap item will regularly be junk 

X-Force is widely regarded as a "cheap" poor quality item, but does do the job flow wise 

Manta is widely regarded as top quality and amazing lifespan even in mild steel 

then there's custom work.... 

This Dump pipe that was custom built for a 6466 precision was over $1000 just for the part you see ..., what do you think the rest of the exhaust cost ?

KHEIExV.jpg

did it knock, bang and fit poorly, no 

did it sound sh*tty, no 

will it last under extreme temperatures being 304 high grade stainless and not crack, yes 

would you get this from any of the cheaper dump systems on the market... No 

know what you're buying and why. Not often is it a complete rip off when a talented fabricator is on the job and his skill and material quality is in the mix 

these headers are $4000 a set and drag teams buy three or four sets at a time, why because the cheaper sets don't even last a meeting letalone a season 

N7PP0cn.png

I agree with you when you're going all out. That's the 1% of us. Money is no object kind of projects. 

For street use an off the shelf system would more than suffice. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Yes and when minimum quality standards and fitment is met ( not Xforce ) but say Manta or SMB you're at $3000 

I've started refusing my own customers TOG 4* & Xforce 4* systems to be fit by me as it's so crap I'm not willing to have my name on it anymore and I'm sick of having to re invent the exhaust to make it work.... Any yes it also stands for the original designers name brand on this item 

27 minutes ago, JETURBO said:

Yes and when minimum quality standards and fitment is met ( not Xforce ) but say Manta or SMB you're at $3000 

I've started refusing my own customers TOG 4* & Xforce 4* systems to be fit by me as it's so crap I'm not willing to have my name on it anymore and I'm sick of having to re invent the exhaust to make it work.... Any yes it also stands for the original designers name brand on this item 

I understand you not wanting your name on that but your customers shouldn't blame you for sh*t exhausts if that's what they supplied.