How much more work for oil pump

molch

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 19d

Hey guys. So timing cover is off and keep tossing up whether I should do oil pump. It's a zf auto that doesn't see limiter very often but yeah want some opinions from others on here. How much extra work is involved and would you go the extra ?

A288CF7E-A2CC-4F9C-AB6F-79F9232564CE.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 19d
50 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

FG is engine out and sump off (or x member out and sump off) to get the pick up bolts unfortunately

Wow what a bitch! I have heard (through Facebook) that it's possible to take off the engine mount bolts and lift the engine slightly.This can give enough room to get to the pickup. 

Anyone have ate experience with this or can see it as a bad way?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 6d

I scored a BA long motor for $150(!!!) on fleabay for learning purposes...first job will be strip down, remove oil pump and swap for atomic unit.

Around $300 saving for exchange option without having my ute off the road plus I get experience. Winning!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 4m 15d

So I'm thinking of replacing my fgx xr6t oil pump myself on my hoist with a complete atomic forged unit. So is the difficult part removing the x member under the engine? Why is it difficult? What can go wrong? Is the engine mounted on the cross member? Does the engine need holding up/ supporting with straps or a engine crane or what to take sump off? Anyone replaced the oil pump with engine still in car? Thanks guys