ROB83R's work hack

ROB83R

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

After the Wollombi cruise I quickly found a couple weak links in the setup. 

I knew the brakes would need to be upgraded soon but didn't expect they would be shagged after the cruise so they were first on the list. 

I've got a set of a slotted and dimpled rotors and pads plus a new set of hubs sitting on the lounge room floor waiting for me to get 5 minutes spare to fit them. I haven't gone for the tried and true dba t3 due to being a commuter and the cost. I can hear the poor man pays twice in the back of my head but meh! I use the brakes 7 times to get to work and 3 to get home and none are big stops so they should last till the next cruise. 

Next on the list are shocks. I'm not lowering this thing. I'm trying to resist the urge to lower it. I do it to every one of my cars and it ends up sh*tting me. So I think I'll fork out for some good shocks (konis) I know some of you guys have used them. 

After that I reckon I'll be doing sway bar links in the front. I'm getting a rattle at slow speeds over undulated surfaces. Pretty sure it's them. 

Anyway I'll get some pics up tomorrow of my skillz getting these brakes done if I get a chance before work. 

Edited by ROB83R
  • Like 1

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

Spot on mate brakes are a good first mod on any Turbo.

You didnt get RDA's did you? They will be shot on the next cruise I went RDA's once and never again.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d
On 9/9/2016 at 8:54 AM, johnxr6t said:

haha it gets to the point where you don't go on boost in the wet.

My manual FG XR6T was like that in the wet with the crappy Falken tyres it had on it when I bought it. Boost would come on in third (in a straight line) and the ass would kick out...and traction control pretty much did nothing! Pretty much any gear in the wet around corners was interesting as the turbo started to spool up. Good times!

On 9/9/2016 at 9:25 AM, ROB83R said:

That's for pussies

^WHS. Half the fun of the T's is trying not to die while just driving 'normally' in the wet!

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

^I just love it when the engines barely revving and the wheels are spinning.

Good on you for not lowering it man, puts more stress on lots of components which just ends up costing you money. That being said, you can make it ever so slightly lower without too much consequence. Like stever's primered beast.

Would definitely check over swaybar before getting new links, I had stuffed D bushes (possibly from someone overtightening) and it caused a rattle that I would have swore was ball joint/sway bar link related.

Edited by johnxr6t

Hey azz nah didn't get RDA. I avoided them. These are Tora. Haven't found anything falcon related about them so thought I'd Guinea pig them. For the price I could buy 3 sets to one set of T3's. So if they work in laughing. 

I'll give that a look John. I reckon you might be onto it. I was swinging off it when I was doing the oil feed line and there was some movement that shouldn't be there. 

I'll just leave this here

i3sy11.jpg

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 11m 10d
On 09/09/2016 at 0:59 AM, ROB83R said:

Here it is. 06 BF xr6t. Only had it for a few months. 

33xk20g.jpg

55s2f7.jpg

So far I've only serviced it, changed the oil feed line 

2552vsg.jpg

sneaky turbo side

2mqj4mg.jpg

and added a tranny cooler 

241pkyw.jpg

dont have any interior pics but it's mint except the gear lever is worn. 

No rust in this one either. Plenty I checked out had heaps. 

Plans... As the money becomes available I'll collect parts. I want to get it as close to 300rwkw as I can reliably while doing most if not all the work myself. I'd even like to tune it but that's a long way off. 

Next thing is a cooler. 

I got some 62lb injectors u can have, only 20thou old.

And some plaz to b series throttle body piping plus a under battery cai to turbo piping.

Just buy a cooler and its all urs. 

Would of given u my trans cooler to lol

I go no need for any off it

• Like 1

Name your price man and I should be able to grab it off you on the next cruise. That'll be a good leg up. Just need a dump and cat then.