swirl removal

azzah

• Member For: 7y 8m 8d

Hey all recently picked up an MK2 FG XR6 Turbo and seeing as it is an ex cop car the greatest of care wasn't taken when they washed it so it's covered in swirls. So I got my Clay mitt out and RO polisher and got to work have just done the bonnet so far and it got a lot of swirls out but after 2 passes some slight swirling still remains although its probably 80-90% better then it was. Is Ford paint known to be tough paint to polish/correct

items I used to try to polish/correct were

Mint protools DAS-6 Random Orbital Polisher

Menzerna Fast Gloss FG500 (2 passes) with a microfibre buffing pad

Menzerna Super Finish SF4000 (1 pass) with black finishing pad

Duragloss Total Performance Polish

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

No idea myself as never polished the car, but pics of before and after?

• Like 1

No sorry didn't get any before and after pics but in the sun you can really see the difference when you compare it to the rest of the car. With the rest of the car you can really notice the swirl marks reflecting in the sun whereas with the bonnet you have to look closely to notice them.

If its sunny before I drop the car off at Ford in the morning (getting a few warranty items fixed) I will take a photo of the bonnet that been polished and most swirls removed  and one panel that is full of swirls. You will just have to excuse the fact that the car is covered in dust as I live in a new estate and a lot of land is being cleared so dirt is constantly in the breeze and as we only moved in 8 months ago the garage is too full to get the cars in.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 14d

The polishes are enough to get rid of your swirls. Ford paint isnt known to be super hard. Its not euro hard but is harder then Japanese paint. Might be your technique or it just needed another pass or two with the 500. 80- 90% for a daily is a good outcome.

Did you clay bar the  car before starting the polishing?

Edited by gsd112

9 hours ago, k31th said:

This should be impossible for a car guy :P

Yeah it's not from lack of trying my father had a heart attack and has been in and out of the hospital the last 5 months and my wife's grandfather has had 4 strokes and has been in hospital for 6 months so if I'm not up at the hospital then she is then the rest of the time is spent at work or controlling our 3 year old.

actually been thinking about taking a week off work and putting more shelves up in the garage so we can finally get the cars in

9 minutes ago, gsd112 said:

The polishes are enough to get rid of your swirls. Ford paint isnt known to be super hard. Its not euro hard but is harder then Japanese paint. Might be your technique or it just needed another pass or two with the 500. 80- 90% for a daily is a good outcome.

Might try a few passes then