Bang For Buck TV

JETURBO

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 8m 3d

Go for the Soniq. They are lg factory made. Hisense not so good and tend to fail rather easily

If you want to name brand I can get you sony factory direct. Pm me details of what you want and ill sus out price/availability

3 hours ago, .Stripes. said:

I was going to suggest a Western Digital TV Live media player...but it seems they don't make them anymore. Hmmm...

And they are crap lol. If you want decent without setting up server based pc etc etc go an extreamer. They are around $250 - $300 but what you save on a tv will be well worth the cash. 

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Extender, chromecast, WDlive, Smart TV, PC etc will come down to the kids age/ease of use with tech.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 23d

shes a lucky girl azza I dont even have a tv in my room :/

I used to download movies or whatever and plug the tv into a lappy or pc. I used that to play everything no probs. dunno if that's a good way or not but that's how I did it. 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 23d

My kogan tv still going good 6 months or so later. Its a smart tv (but laggy between programs)..

Cant comment on formats playable, but probs pretty basic cause think it doesnt play avi's or some format I cant remember (I dont download movies anymore...just remember some of my old pron wouldn't play back lol). 

Think I paid just under $400 (cause free shipping). 40" full hd led. 

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 17d

whatever size you buy, buy a Samsung.

don't know if you remember, our 2 1/2 year old Samsung TV died and they replaced it with a new one (worth over twice the price of old one)

Basically, if it wont last for 5 years they will give you another one free of charge (Australian consumer law on big brand stuff)

My TV repair man put me on to it.

he said that Samsung were the best out of the big brands to give you a new TV.

He said I now get another 5 years on this TV, if it dies they will give me another new one.

I perceive that I will never need to buy a TV again, LOL 

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 4d

Another option is to use a PC/Laptop and run a program called 'Unified Remote'. Basically means you can use an app on your phone to control the computer. I use it on site so I can watch TV shows I've downloaded through my laptop onto the TV in my room (connected via HDMI), but use my phone to control the laptop from my bed. Can connect via either BT or WIFI. And it's free for the basic app.

Edited by .Stripes.
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 23d
3 hours ago, bloodycrashboy said:

Man I've still got the 42" plasma I bought back when I finished school. 12yrs and still cranking hard lol 

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Depending on her age - even one of the cheap ones with a built in DVD player may be perfect if that's about what she'd be likely to use herself. 

@JETURBO Is she more likely to watch the same Peppa Pig DVD (or whatever kids watch these days) or more likely to be wanting to jump on youtube, netflix, facebook etc?

All well and good having the tech to support everything, but if she's not at the age where she has a phone/tablet/laptop a simple, dumb, cheap screen maybe all that's needed. Less than a couple of hundred bucks and lasts a year or so may be fine.

I've always found bedroom TV's for the kids to be great birthday/xmas pressies - every couple of years there's always a decent upgrade option for them that's pretty cheap. As their usage grows, so do the options available for budget prices.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 20d
10 hours ago, MBAF said:

Go for the Soniq. They are lg factory made. Hisense not so good and tend to fail rather easily

man they're both piles of poop hahaha.

I'll top it with my 32" TEAC I got from family. full HD with LED etc but what gets me is the volume is exponentially louder between 9 and 10. meaning it's too quiet at 9 but way too loud at 10. yeah yeah I need headphones but how sh*t is that?

mate of mine what he does for his kids (they're quite young) is they get given an ipad which they bring up peppa pig/etc on and then an hour later or so that night they take them back - so they don't spend too much time on it.

3 hours ago, bloodycrashboy said:

I'm like the biggest samsung fanboy so I must agree with you here!! they make displays for so many other brands it's not even funny!

• Like 1