Bang For Buck TV

JETURBO

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Ok flange pipes I've bought a few TV's over the recent years and I now need a new one for our eldest daughters new room, I've always been caught out on the fact the TV supports 11ty billion formats ( apparently )they always seem to have issues supporting the one you just downloaded and put on a usb to play on the TV 

the last TV we bought was a "smart TV" with internet/Android capability.... Worked well streaming YouTube etc etc until it did an update and hasn't worked right since!

so this TV I was thinking I wanted to keep under the $500 mark and obviously of the smaller side of things ( plus it's in a bedroom ) 

want to know what you might of bought recently at a good price but is working as intended ?

Always worth asking you lot before I start looking seriously ;) 

• Filthy weeb
  • Member For: 11y 1m 12d

Get a cheapo TV and a decent Blu-ray player with a USB port to bring the price up to your $500. That should be more up to date with playable formats than any $500 TV.

But then again it's been many years since I've bought a TV and things are probably a bit different now.

Edited by stubbietubbie

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Interesting ...

this is why im asking as I'm sure someone has just bought one and will rate it so I'll take that lead hopefully but if not your idea ain't bad !

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

For a kids room you can't really go wrong with one of the Soniq ones from JB

$299 - 43" refurb

Should play most things off USB

How old is she? would internet/youtube be a big deal? Google Chrome Cast for $50?? and she can send it all straight from a phone/tablet/lappy etc

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

I was going to suggest a Western Digital TV Live media player...but it seems they don't make them anymore. Hmmm...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

cheapest = TV + CompuStick (simplest) or old PC to use as media server (more complex).

TV is treated like a big monitor and can stream/play anything that a PC can be setup to play. :spoton:

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

I second Chromecast. We have two and they get a good workout. Much better and cheaper than a Smart TV. If something will play on mobile device or in Chrome browser on PC, you can cast it.

Got a Samsung 32" about a year ago for $350ish. HD rather than Full HD but good quality picture nonetheless.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

about to hang two of those soniq TV's that rab mentioned. will report back if I think they're any good.

got a chromecast sitting in the draw collecting dust! For a mates wallmounted tele we have a USB +hdmi over cat5/6 extender, it's awesome as I found best compatibility with media types was by plugging a usb in direct.