Best location for an external transmission cooler - FG XR6T

A1RFC1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Fit a fan, ull be a fan! Not much air behind a fog light, trust me I know I remove my fog light for track days. For the cost of a good cooler and fan compared to the trans it’s really not that much money.

Do it once do it right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 5y 6m 24d

I've just installed mine with a fan under drivers headlight. There is no air flow though so with the fan on, blowing backwards, the inner guard is COOKING and I imagine the cooling effect is minimal.

Thinking of cutting some slots in the inner guard. Thinking of making them like a louver vent so the wheel doesn't flick crap into them. Not sure how to go about this.

Any tips?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

I just put mine there and was a 37 degree day when I gave it the initial shakedown drive. I've got my fan running off a thermostatic switch at 85 degrees.

I used the Torque app to monitor the trans temp. Fan switched on at 85 degrees and the temp stayed pretty stable there once the fan came on, so I reckon airflow is ok. You could monitor yours the same way to confirm everything is cooling ok.

The air is escaping of course, just not straight out the back. I'm not sure you'd want to blow that hot air directly onto one tyre by cutting slots though.

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for that.

I will monitor temps and try again.  My OBDII tool doesn't connect to Forscan and the other random OBDII app I tried to use was telling me the trans temp was 176C.....yeah right.

I don't suppose you were able to export the stats from that trip?

I wasn't thinking just slots, I was thinking a louvre design to angle the air down, also to prevent the tyre from flicking dirt/debris at the cooler.

You're right, hot air over one tyre may not be a good thing. Not sure how else I could vent it though. There isn't any air flow inside that area, especially with the lower undertray on. The inner guard was VERY hot when the fan was on.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Interesting stuff. I'll check how hot my inner guard is when I get home. I'd still feel weird venting into the wheel well but Ralph certainly knows his stuff so maybe ignore me.
@cat007 have you tried the Torque app and adding the set of Ford PIDs?2f7f12eb78774cc429b13b52ab01cf2a.jpg