My Phantom BA XR6 Turbo Build

tazzanz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 8m 22d

I believe my engine builder quoted around 1700-1800 plus GST for porting, I wonder what the CNC quote would be. Just did a quick google and there are a few places that do CNC head porting here in NZ, so might shoot them a email.

• Donating Members
36 minutes ago, arronm said:

It wont be if they dont know what they are doing. Its highly critical where material is removed.

If you want it done properly send it to Nizpro. They have been R + D  these heads since 2002.

that's why our Nizpro F6 pulls such big numbers on low boost. Its all the little mods that add up to extra KW.

This is what im worried about if they fark it up, I know a local company did a big CNC head job on a 4AGE and they took to much material out and he lost intake velocity.

Regarding power im aiming for 600rwkw.

Edited by tazzanz

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

Oh I just remembered... in the oil returns in the head there is some flashing that is knocked out at the foundry and then touched with a grinder. You can see this when looking at the face of the head. There was a half a pinkie nail sized piece of material that came off in my fingers that had been barely holding on from the factory.

It probably wouldn't have done any damage if it came loose but it'd be worth checking as most would be done properly but clearly at least one of them wasn't.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 5d
23 minutes ago, tazzanz said:

This is what im worried about if they fark it up, I know a local company did a big CNC head job on a 4AGE and they took to much material out and he lost intake velocity.

Regarding power im aiming for 600rwkw.

Honestly, put that 2k towards guard work to fit some tractor tyres under it.

18x335s mite hold from 3rd gear haha

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Thanks mate its been a long time coming, not long now just need to send JET a order list of atomic bits then it's all go. The only other big HP one is a 606rwkw Typhoon with a full atomic 998 engine. Would be mint to take NZ's most powerful BARRA but there are a few other big builds in the works.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 29d

It'd be great to be King ;)

We were spitballing doing an NZ cruise the other night - only issue would be that we'd be in shitty hirecars lol (that said - they do red-line a hell of a lot more than owned ones)

• Donating Members

That would be mint, would just need to make sure my car is done in time :dancing:

Some good driving road in NZ, have to say im guilty of not driving them enough. 

• 8 months later...
  • Donating Members

Thought I would do abit of an update, Its been a while. Its funny when your building a car how plans change, goals change. Nether the less it has snowballed big time, I remember reading on the forum how everything will cost 2-3 times more than you think and will take double the time and thinking what a load of sh*t but as it turns out its true. The engine still hasn't been built im sorry to say, From what started as a basic bottom end rebuild, with a set of rods & pistons has turned into something much much bigger. Originally I had a modified / hybrid Holset HX52, Which I was going to run, But decided against it earlier this year, Sold it to a friend of mine along with the manifold, I was eventually going to pickup a GTX45 when the time was right. But a couple of months ago the local Garrett Dealer here in NZ was having a big sale, They had a couple of GT4718R's for $1700 New with a rear exhaust housing it was to good of a deal to pass up. Obviously with a such a big snail lag is going to be abit of an issue, I am going to step down the runner size on the manifold hopefully to combat some of the lag, Will be running the smallest rear A/R available (0.96) Should hopefully fingers crossed make 1000whp with ease, Having the billet crank will also allow me to rev it out more to take advantage of the GT47's powerband.

The Bottom end will consist of 

• CP Pistons 9:0.1 Compression Ratio
  • Spool I beam rods 7/16 ARP2000 Bolts
  • Spool Imports 4340 Billet crankshaft (Factory stroke)
  • Spool 10mm Girdle 
  • ARP Bolts all round

Still undecided on the head, I am pretty set on a CNC port, But IMO it seems like abit of waste to do all this port work and leave the factory valves in there. From what I have heard the factory seats only cater for 0.5-1mm Oversize, And replacing 24 seats can turn into a very pricey exercise. Kelford cams here in NZ, quoted $85 for an aftermarket seat X24 to suit bigger valves nearly double what I had been quoted in AUS from similar cylinder head joint. I am thinking of picking up some Supertech Inconnel exhaust valves (1mm OS) and a set of 1mm OS for the intake also.  

Also managed to score a GTP brembo setup here in NZ late last year, Which I was stoked with. 6 piston front & 4 Piston rear.