Transmission Cooler

Johnmal

• Member For: 7y 8m 13d

I jave just got my XR6T with 60000kms and I have been reading about a major fault with the auto transmission that it can get coolant going into the transmission and you're up for $1000s, what should I do? Get a transmission cooler or has ford fixed the problem, I have a 2012 FG XR6T, cheers

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

welcome to the forum!

When I got mine I had my mechanic replace the auto trans cooler for peace of mind. I was advised to replace every 40,000ks/2 years and make sure the coolant is good.

I only fitted a ford one, you can fit an aftermarket one like the PWR heat exchanger or an air to oil cooler.

Obviously it is false economy replacing the cooler every two years so if you've got the money a permanent solution is best.

• Member For: 7y 8m 13d

I was told to replace the entire Transmission cooler as the factory ones can rupture coolant into the gearbox and that the end of it. Replacing the transmission oil or coolant should probably be done every 40000km like you said. 

Only the XR8 was recalled the rest got bananas. That's so sad that ford didn't offer it to every e since it is a major problem. 

Edited by EvilDaifu
No need to quote post immediately above your post. Makes it easier to read thread.

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

A fair few people here and on other forums (me included) have by passed the factory heat exchanger and fitted an Air to oil heat exchanger.

I by passed the factory one on my Territory Turbo (Petrol) and did 100kms with out issue. I made sure when i fitted it the transmission had a full flush at the same time.
I didnt have any problems as far as shifting goes and the box was still just as smooth after the service.