Turbo plumbing

Lewis

• Member For: 7y 11m 7d

Hi there Forum

I am wanting to upgrade my plumbing from the turbo through to the throttle body keeping the original intercooler.

First question is are the factory fitted intercooler good for the job as I am not chasing more power, I just want to install a pressured side of the inlet that is good quality, of metal construction, that has good seals between the different parts and has good quality flexible joiners that will not leak.

My aim is to reduce inlet noise and to know that I will not be chasing leaks in the pressured side of the system.

The car is a 2010 build and I am suspicious of the plastic bits, the age of them and how well they fit together.

Does any one know of an after market kit that will do the job ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Lewis

The car has a three inch exhaust from the turbo back and a growler air filter.

that's all except some after market silicone connector hoses for inlet pipes on the pressured side.

I think the growler filter makes a lot of whooshing noise as well which I don't like.

really just after that tight, efficient, low key turbine sound without all the whistling and ugly whooshing.

cheers

lewis

It has the growler air filter connected to the original ' intercooled ' plastic bit on top of the engine and from then on it has a big bore steel pipe connected to the turbo inlet by a red silicone joiner.

From the boost side it is all standard to the throttle body where it has a heavy duty silicone joiner which joins the plastic from the intercooler and the top of the throttle body.

The growler filter is not in its box but sitting in the engine bay, I am starting to wonder if this is causing all the noise.

One problem I have is I haven't sat in another turbo to see what they sound like.

Cheers

Lewis

• Member For: 7y 11m

They're generally pretty quiet standard. 

If the filter is visible that'll make it louder. They're usually an enclosed box? 

That metal intake will make it louder also. 

Personally I like induction noise. The sound of the whole world being sucked into your motor is the best. 

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d
On 07/08/2016 at 11:41 AM, Lewis said:

The car has a three inch exhaust from the turbo back

Change the cats then?  A custom tune is strongly recommended if you change how fast the exhaust gases are able to exit (or change intercooler).

Won't help with your noise questions but will definitely help performance and reliability - as long as you get a good custom tune from a shop that knows what they are doing!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 7m 14d

The growler kit is what is making all the whooshing and flutter noises, go back to a panel filter in the stock airbox.  That should reduce most of the noise