Strange noise on start-up - Fuel pump?

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 24d

Hey guys,

My car is due for it's 100,000km major service at the end of the year so I'm trying to piece together a list of things that I'll get seen to when it's in for repairs.

I'm having a strange issue when the car is first turned on.  On occasion, I get a whirring/roaring water, (I know it sounds odd) sort of noise from the rear passenger side of the car which is worrying me.  I'd say once in every 10 or so times that I start the car.  I'm leaning towards something maybe being wrong with the fuel pump - Could it be a, 'priming' sort of noise?  If the pump is on the way out, last thing I need is to give it stick and the engine explodes...

Someone in the almost 10 years of FG/FGX's must have had a similar issue?

(On a side note, does the 100,000km service call for coils or is that something everyone just does when they crap out? And I'm inclined to get a throttle body elbow replacement for the car - (300rwkw) Has anyone's stock elbow broken or split or is the need for a replacement a bit of BS?)

Any advice would be great!

Thanks guys!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Aftermarket fuel pumps do make a reasonably noisy priming sound just like you describe. Stock ones usually don't. Pull it out and have a look at the fuel filter sock thingo in there to see if it's clogged and needs replacing.

Coils when they crap out. Can be worth replacing for peace of mind, though... Personally, I wouldn't unless it says it on the service interval information.

Yes, the elbow can split. Stock plastic pipes aren't made for very high boost :)