rough idle

darryl j

• Member For: 7y 8m 16d

Hey guys I have a 2011 fgxr6 and it is idling rough anyone know what could be causing this, and how hard is it to fix.Got the codes from a mate it says p0171 system to lean bank1
p1388 camshaft position timing over retarded (bank 2) does this mean it might only need a good tune up or more. Also does this model fg2011 ute auto have a camshaft position sensor cheers Darryl j

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 21d

P1388 doesn't sound good.... I'd be getting the rocker cover ripped off and the engine timing checked. This could be done yourself.

Worst case you have to get timing cover ripped off and it all checked over...I had a timing/camshaft related fault code that luckily was the camshaft actuator but some workshops wanted me to book it in for the whole timing job with a price range from ~$700-1700!

• Member For: 7y 8m 16d

hey johnxr6t thanks for getting back to me with a answer, my question is what other things you said I should check, so far I have tighten the fuel cap so it does not suck air, have replaced fuel filter, o2 sensor replaced, what else could be checked before ripping cover off and checking timing, could it be only needs a good tune cheers darryl j

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 14d

clean throttle body,but with those codes maybe best to get it properly diagnosed by a mechanic.

Edited by gsd112
  • Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 21d

If your engine mounts are bad it could seem to idle rough as with the timing stuff the chain can skip a few teeth and run just fine as some people have experienced.

If you tell us where you're from someone might be able to refer you to a quality workshop that knows these cars well....they might even be able to do a 'good tune' but it'll come with a dyno sheet:3gears:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d

Most likely skipped a tooth on the timing gears mate, my car did the exact same code a while back, pulled tappet cover off, wound her around so all timing marks lined up (38 or so revolutions) and sure enough both cam gears were out one tooth, causing the rough idle and occasional engine light when oven a boot full of throttle