Spark Plug Torque Specs

boost69

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 9d

Guys,

I dropped into Supercheap when they had their 20% off sale and I bought six NGK plugs.  Part No IFR6T11.  The Supercheap Rep told me that there's not a colder plug for the XR6T.  He said that there's only one plug for both the XR^ and the XR6T.  That surprises me.  Can anybody conform that the XR6T DOES NOT require a special spark plug.

Thanks.

Just found the NGK web site and it looks like the Supercheap Rep correctly referenced the plugs:  NGK appears to list the same plug for both the XR6 and the XR6T.  The XR6T doesn't need a colder plug?  I am confused!  Maybe my spark plug knowledge dates back 30 years.  I had to fit colder plugs into my circa 1980 Datsun Turbo.  Here's the NGK url: 

http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs-part-finder/passenger-and-commercial?PageMode=Results&Make=FORD&Model=Falcon+FG+XR6+Turbo&Year=&Year=05%2F08+-+01%2F124.0L6+Cyl%2C+Turbo%2C+V-DOHC%2C+24V%2C+270kW%2C+533NmBARRA+270T

PAH

Edited by PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 9d

Guys,

I just had a phone chat with the Tech Help at NGK.  1300 554 059.

They confirmed that the XR6 and the XR6T use the same plug - IFR6T11 4589.  They said that this is possible because the Iridium plug has very good resistance to heat and that stops it from acting like a glow plug in a diesel and causing pre-ignition issues.  NGK said that if I switched to standard plugs, I'd have to run a colder plug to avoid that problem.  They also said that their Iridium plugs are pre-gapped and to use extreme care if I attempt to change from the 1.1mm because they're very easily damaged.

PAH

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

I use genuine plugs, Motorcraft SK20R7 - pre gapped to 0.7mm.  This is because my car is tuned for that sort of gap but if you are tuned and fit a spark booster my understanding is a wider gap (1.1 say) gives better burn and low rev/off boost performance.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

FG N/A gap is 1.3mm. Turbo BA was 1.1mm. BF turbo was 0.9mm. Would think with the extra boost of the FG it would be 0.9mm as well. My 2010 territory is 0.9mm.

For turbo non tuned I would run 0.9mm tuned 0.7mm. I only use genuine ford plugs. They are iridium and cheap.. $54 for 6