Btr upgrades/mods/anythingtomakeitlast

unmarkedf6

• Member For: 11y 2m

So I got a ba xr6 turbo for a steal, needs a new rear cradle as the previous owner ran out of ability.

So I'm gonna do a bit of experimenting on this old girl, engine I'm confident with, tuning I'm sort of confident with, but trans mods and I haven't had much to do together.

I've read a few pages on here mentioning valve body mods, early model oil pump and disabling the s3 and s4 solenoids in the box, do a trans cooler and maybe a stall if the budget allows. This is all to do on the side after I finish my xr6 turbo ute. Turbotrana I think mentioned the trans mods, if anyone felt like sharing, that'd be great. I'm planning on doing all this myself, cheers

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 6m 25d

Don't know how the ba ecu will like doing the trans solenoid mods with the btr, might show up a few fault codes if you just disconnect them I would suggest either putting a resitor on the line so the ecu still thinks they are there or get a spare solenoid from another box and connect that in the loom so it can operate that even though it will do nothing.

I run my btr 4spd full manualised with full line pressure and no dampening on shifts and it bangs gears hard if you drive light throttle but it's the only way to get them to stay together with 500+hp. With the tables that are found in the Ecu on these cars should be able to change enough tables and get the ecu to not dampen shifts in sports mode.

With the stall it depends on what you want to do with the car I can get my stall to push out to 3000rpm by sitting in 2nd on the brake then smash 1st once boost build and launch extremely well.

Edit: search through the threads on boostedfalcon.com there is lots of information on making the btr shift hard properly and manualise them.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 27d

man I sure hope I don't run out of ability someday.....

to make what you've got last longer:

You wana assess the condition the transmission is in by changing fluid/filter if not already done, while you're there, fit a big F*** OFF cooler to it

I'd wait to do any mods that require taking it out, let the box go then get it rebuilt with some AU parts. if you find it's unhappy when doing the fluid/filter change then yeah get it rebuilt.

that being said I swear I read something about the entire casing of the BTR flexing which makes the components inside misalign and become unhappy...but I could be wrong. there are definitely people who can build these boxes to handle awesome power.

Edited by johnxr6t

• Member For: 11y 2m

Alrighty sweet thanks guys, Im squeezing in a trans service this week and I'll do the trans cooler next. As for line pressure increases, is it all adjusted through the pcm?  No physical changes? 

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 14y 7m 26d

My understanding is the T5 manual flexes and the case strips teeth off third gear. Not the 4 speed auto. Best and first mod auto trans cooler. When it comes time to rebuild it AU and before planetaries. Mine had an adjustable solinoid from gmh.  26ml oil pump from an ea auto. And all the usual stuff after that bands etc

• Member For: 14y 7m 26d

If you search through my old posts you will find a full write up of my old box. Thing was awesome no issues with the computer and if you are near Brisbane I can point you to the same guy to build it. 

Edited by zzz-ba ute
  • Like 1