ENGINE BUILD

SipposBFT

• Member For: 10y 3m 22d

Got my FG F6 motor apart and they're definitely a cast mahle piston, but they are different. I believe HI PSI said the same about his short motor when he got his, and also read an article recently by someone who a lead designer or something at FPV who also said they arent forged but a different heavier design and lower compression. Theres a BF into the 8's on stock cast turbo pistons so its not the weak point of the engine anyway. 

... and mattyp is right. High comp turbo e85 is the only way to go!

Edited by luke187
  • Like 1

• Member For: 14y 7m 8d
51 minutes ago, luke187 said:

Got my FG F6 motor apart and they're definitely a cast mahle piston, but they are different. I believe HI PSI said the same about his short motor when he got his, and also read an article recently by someone who a lead designer or something at FPV who also said they arent forged but a different heavier design and lower compression. Theres a BF into the 8's on stock cast turbo pistons so its not the weak point of the engine anyway. 

... and mattyp is right. High comp turbo e85 is the only way to go!

Great info luke ... Thankyou ... I do understand yr hi comp favouritism .... But I want to b able to run on 98 as well as possibly E85... My last car (r31 RB 30t ) was tuned on E85... Mainly cause the pistons used were too high to run on 98... In short was a pain as I had to travel out of my way to fill up... & as it's also my only set of wheels I also take long trips with her.  

Curious ... Did u buy the engine from a salvage yard or do u own an F6?  If U bought how much? 

Edited by SipposBFT

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 25d

Benefits of living so close to e85 servos and everywhere I go there is an e85 servo (Kempsey for the inlaws, canbra for the family and several on the cenny coast)
Im a lucky man, Also I think it is far more ethical to use e85 as its giving money to locals rather than sending it over to the saudis, it may cost a little more (alot more around town) but its worth it imo.
Even if you need petrol add water injection and back the petrol tune way off until you can switch back to the jungle juice

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 3m 22d
On 7/1/2016 at 1:57 PM, MattyP said:

Yes I did

Spool do a fullyforged piston

But I picked up a set of mahle lpg pistons at 10.5 to 1

Are the LPG pistons forged though? Saw some on ebay but they're cast like the f6 pistosn ive pulled from the car. Might get a phone call off to spool.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 25d

I dont think so

They look cast but I'm not building an engine for 500kw

Just want higher comp

Should have just gone an ecolpi short block

• 5 months later...
  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m 18d

Found this interesting on Atomic's site:

Conrods and Pistons

Q: Do I need to rebalance my engine if I fit Atomic conrods to my XR6-T?
A: As the engine is an inline configuration, the conrod and piston weights are not a function of the balance factor of the engine (as they are in a V configuration engine), so they can be installed without rebalancing the engine.