ECU for a BA XR6 turbo

zlaya79

• Member For: 10y 13d

Hi all,

I've got a BA XR6 turbo and according to my mechanic, my ECU seems to have had it.  Apparently, a common thing with these units.

The particular part number in question is discontinued with Ford and second handers are as rare as hens teeth it seems.

This might be a long shot, but just wondering if anyone here has any connections or knows someone who knows someone (We called just about everyone in the country who does spares).

ECU code: ABU-214  / 3R23- 2A650-HE

Much appreciated!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 11d
  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

Where are you located? McArthur Auto Parts in NSW carry a decent stock of ECU's

http://www.macarthurautoparts.com.au/find-us/

Keep in mind you cannot simply swap the ECU and carry on with life. It will need a parameter reset and the BEM will need to be paired to it.

Thanks guys!

I've been checking on ebay, but no luck.  This particular model is hard to find.  And it doesn't help that there are 13 different ECUs for a BA... Go figure the logic behind that.

Just spoken with  http://www.macarthurautoparts.com.au/find-us/  and the guy was really helpful, but didn't have it on hand.  Apparently he's getting calls from all over the country for this elusive ABU-214.

MattyP - I've heard of the aftermarket computers, but can't find more info.  Please let me know if you have anything on hand.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

It doesn't specifically need to be an abu-214. If the basic model/eng/trans config the car the ECU came off is the same it will be fine.

What are the symptoms that cause the mechanic to suspect a dud ecu?

That's what he said, but apparently it is not exactly foolproof and sometimes they will spaz out even if the car config is the same.  I am dealing with a guy who worked for Ford who used to solely do this sort of stuff for them and that's what he reckons. He says he can program a 214 manual into thinking it's an auto fairly easily, but other combos might be harder or impossible.

In saying that, I am looking at getting a 244 and seeing what happens. 

Essentially, the car goes into limp mode with errors around the gearbox power supply (which there is nothing wrong with).  When we scratched the surface a bit by searching for those error coedes online and speaking with Ford, people said that this is common for those computers and a crapload of them had the same issue.  This is essentially why they are next to impossible to find and why Ford doesn't have any more in stock.  A LOT of them got swapped out at one stage or another and a lot of people are looking for them.  

I am still quietly confident one will come my way. Some wreckers might get sick of my phone calls, but hey, that's life.  :wwww:

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in...