Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

0.02 ETH in about 13 days. Worth 62usd right now.

Gonna switch it off for now, the cards memory has been sitting at 90c or so.

So yerp have been watching ETH for the past few weeks and could have made plenty lately, if I used savings etc.

Anyhow there's a thing, was fun to watch and have a few bucks for nothing.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

I suppose it's similar. It's pretty easy to get it right, compared to most other forms if gambling. You just gotta be prepared to spend your days watching a screen, and have a good set of matrix goggles.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 21d

Helping a fellow FG enthusiast and good friend of mine with a PC build. He start YT last year (Final Form in YT if you're interested) and had been editing on a laptop. Laptop crapped out, and was struggling to edit videos anyway. He asked for help choosing components for a PC build that would be able to edit up to 4k videos without breaking the bank.

His original budget was 2k including a monitor, and after telling him about the chip shortage and GPU shortage and how this is severely effecting PC parts prices, he said he'd save a bit more to up the budget. After this conversation he was very aware that now is not a good time to be building PCs due to the prices of some components, but this issue isn't going any time soon and he can't continue his passion and grow his YT audience if he can't edit videos.

With the 2k budget in mind, the build was originally going to be:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

MOBO - MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS

RAM - 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (CMK32GX4M2E3200C16)

GPU - Galax GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 

SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 1TB M.2 NVMe 

PSU - Corsair 650W RM650x

CASE - Corsair Carbide 4000D Airflow

MONITOR - AOC 27in QHD IPS 155Hz Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor (Q27G2S)

This ended up coming to just shy of $2.4k. You could make the argument that some things could have been changed out to get the price lower, but I felt this was a low as I'd be happy going for a video editing rig. This is what sparked old mate to save for just a little bit longer to then allow some parts to be swapped for better versions. The monitor was one thing I was adamant on not changing out, having good monitor for photo/video editing I think is crucial! Especially a QHD, a 4k was not justifiable as you can downscale video playback from 4k to 2k (not to mention upscaling too!) in premiere pro. The chosen monitor covers 99% of the DCI-P3 colour gamut which is more than good enough for vlog style video editing. Not to mention that is also a brilliant monitor for causal gaming - something he was also keen on getting into in his spare time.

Fast forward another month, the new budget was $3500. Couple things changed, and a few additional requirements meant more things were added, such as RGB fans. I also recommened an AIO for the CPU so that some mild overclocking could be done and could be pushed further in the future if the mobo was to be upgraded. So, the final build list is:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

AIO COOLER- Corsair H100i Elite Capellix 240mm RGB AIO (paired with Noctua NT-H2 Thermal Paste)

MOBO - MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS

RAM - 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz (CMG32GX4M2E3200C16)

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC 8G

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 

SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 1TB M.2 NVMe 

PSU - Corsair 750W RM750x

CASE - Corsair Carbide 4000D Airflow

FANS - Corsair LL120 Dual Light Loop (x3)

MONITOR - AOC 27in QHD IPS 155Hz Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor (Q27G2S)

Total cost, $3497.30

Build coming together this Saturday, will post a pretty photo when its complete :)  

Some feature creep definitely occurred during the process, he ended up wanting some RGB because he wanted it to look nice seeing as he was spending quite a bit of coin on it.

Keen to get this all together

vxU0MyH.jpg

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Yea I agree, he said he already has a storage plan for his video files. 
Its something he'll need to think about more in the future though for sure. 

I'm thinking he might use a NAS or something for raw video storage

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 24d

Looks good - storage was going to be my query, but Keith covered it.

Only tip I'd have would be to think about flashing to latest firmware (via USB) early in the install if you're thinking of installing Windows 11 (or have any issues getting the PC to boot)

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Long term storage solutions can come later, for now he's just been using external drives because he'd be using laptops, but I'd defs push him towards a more robust storage method and maybe used external drives as backups instead.

I wanna look at doing an unraid or truenas build with some leftover PC parts this year for my raw photos, might use that as a testing thing and do something similar with 2nd hand parts for him later on. Seems like an intense process to set up and manage such builds, but that's likely because I've never done it before and currently have no idea how to do it properly. But there is pleeeenty resources online for this :) 

I was planning on doing this anyway, purely out of "good practice" I guess haha. Always done bios and driver updates early on in the setup process just to ensure the latest ones are installed and being used. Windows 11 though.... Think I'll stick to win10 and wait out the bugs in 11. Nothing against it, just don't wanna be an early adopter and suffer through annoying bugs.

42 minutes ago, Rab said:

Only tip I'd have would be to think about flashing to latest firmware (via USB) early in the install