k31th

Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

You don't

You want a 1070, or 1080 if you are baller

Don't pay new prices for a 980, it is slower than a 1070 which uses less power and retails for like $799 or something

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/06/forza-horizon-3-is-a-bit-confused-about-australia/

Edited by -Stever-

57 minutes ago, -Stever- said:

You want a 1070, or 1080 if you are baller

Ordered a couple of 1080's earlier today - should be in tues

On 18/06/2016 at 3:39 PM, mightbuyaford said:
Planning to overclock? Whats the budget on video cards? 1 or 2?  At this stage id avoid nvidia and go for a amd card. Cheaper and better results in crossfire. So many options though.

1card for now

I always thought nvidea had the edge for graphics cards

Thanks Steve I'll look up the 1070

Also plus 1 for pics

I've only  ever gone nVidia cards.  AMD (ATI) cards have seen too many reported issues in games over the years, much like SLI set ups (or crossfire).  Better off with one monster card.

Two 1080's!  Will probably last for 5 years performance wise!

AMD RX480 is set to hit shelves very soon. AMD have priced the reference card at 199usd. It performs at around the 400+ price point somewhere between a 970 and a 980 or on par. with an R9 390x. Features their new 14nm tech and polaris 10 chip so its not a cheap rebirth of old tech and 2 in xfire have out performed at 1080 which is pretty fkn amazing at this price point. AMD is landing a pretty heavy blow with this series the performance at this price point is unprecedented. Keen to see how their top shelf polaris 10 cards perform if this is what they are offering for 200 bucks

and no om not an AMD fanboy, they cant hold a candle to Intel in regards to single threaded performance. You honestly dont need a super cpu if your just gaming, mega graphics card is more benificial. multi threaded(k) I5 is over kill. Could honestly get a way with a Pentium D dual core and tank gfx card, plenty of memory.

Few games actually make use of more than 2 or 4 cores/threads

That's good performance for the dollar.  Might make me look at them since my GTX960 doesn't cut it in Doom at Ultra quality @ 1080p 1920x1080 so will need an upgrade for the new range of games I suspect.  Also struggles in Witcher 3 at high settings, but I don't think AMD can do the hair FX that I've grown to love in that game.  Shaggy wolves/bears/griffins is awesome to see.

Depending how much the 1070 drops in price when the time comes I'd probably still be keen on staying with nVidia though.

Oh they have to be silent under load though - my Gigabyte GTX960 OC G1 card is inaudible at 50% fan speed even with the side of my PC off, and runs so cool, I love it.  Never having a noisy fan filled PC again.  

Edited by -Stever-

yeah I was looking at upgrading my aged but trusty 6870 to a GTX980TI but will be waiting for 2x RX480's. 100w each they claim so no need for 1kw power supplies either.

AMD is definitely targeting market share with this release. I expect their new flagships will be announced soon

Oh and VR gaming is really what I'd be wanting to buy for when I upgrade.  Vid cards need to pump out 90 frames per second to avoid nausea from what I've just read...and do it for each eye of course.  

These new cards all have VR in mind so should work well - so keen for scary gaming in VR.

Nah... I'm not that up to speed with AMD's offerings or tech in general, will definitely look at those RX480s.  If they don't have compatibility issues and can do good quality VR gaming on the cheap they would be awesome!  Low power use is awesome too.  I'm just scared of bugs.

Article saying wait a couple months for prices to drop.  Won't change your mind if you're baller enough to be a dual 1080 buyer though :) 

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/nvidia-gtx-1080-vs-1070-vs-amd-rx480-gpu-price-availability/

Tax time is the "only" reason I'm jumping now. Made more sense to buy now than in a couple of months

some may argue that 2 1080's >better than 2x rx480's which is a no brainer. 2 rx480s should still be around half the price of a single 1080 though. You could probably get 4 but that's a similar scenario to a million cpu cores/threads that dont get utilised. A better single card will always be better than cheaper multi setups that may perform equally in particular scenarios/games

Not something that's likley to change as the problem with optimising games for multi gpu's is not everbody has them or wants them

Yeah I'd be annoyed if I had to turn off a card I paid for in order to run anything, at a lower performance level than I had invested in the hardware to support.

...unless the twin card set up was half the price of a single beast card and performance was still high at full quality!

It would be like bypassing a turbo in a twin set up, just so I could get traction because the tyres I'm playing with were ill suited to the surface.  Even if I win the drag race, I'd know I could have smashed it outta the park if I ran all my hardware.

Edited by -Stever-

dont need to be disabled just may not get completley utilised. Definitely seeing way more support for 2 way setups so the 2 vs 1 is getting much more viable but honestly only ballers roll 4

4x rx480' at 100w each and all those pcie power connecters needed meaning probably getting a bigger psu than required seems like false economy

That's good.  I was thinking dual cards should work properly now after being around for ages.  Do they get close to double the performance of a single card or is it still a diminishing ROI?  Probably depends on the game as always, obviously the resolution and if CPU is the bottleneck too.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I don't like Intel chops though for the sheer reason of cost

Yeah I run an AMD FX-6300 - was like $100 hahaha

It's a slow chip, but Doom still only uses half of all six cores.

Edited by -Stever-

I cancelled loading of that pic, whatever it is it's like 10MB 

Resize it for us plebs on phone internet?

Current 980's going into a dedicated machine for the driving rig. New ones are replacing them in the gaming rig

4TdSZG7.jpg