Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• Member For: 7y 11m 2d

Lol, the top sophos sg330 is running opnsense and a sfp modem connecting to nbn fttn.

The bottom one is running pfsense.

Once I work out which way I'm going, I'll run it on the sg330.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 2d
On 13/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, Puffwagon said:

What's the budget? Tell us your absolute max and we can work out what's the best card for you.

Other relevant info to provide is your screen resolution, type of games you play, fps you are targeting and whether ray tracing is important to you. Fwiw ray tracing is sh*te unless you go high end, so for now just focus on rasterization imho.

If your budget is $500 and you want a new card, go for an AMD 6700xt. Nvidia has nothing at that price point that can compete with AMD.

Here's a video

well puff if I go spend $700 on a card im getting close to needing a whole new pc anyways, so was hoping to find a gpu to get me through another year or so dunno yet.

my current dinosaur specs are

Z97X-gaming 3 mobo
intel i5 - 4690k 3.50ghz (not overclocked yet)
8GB ram (1 stick)
currently have nvidia gefore gtx960 GPU
550W gold power supply.

I also need a gaming monitor my current one is screen tearing bad.

so yer in 2 minds what to do I thought shop around for a quick fix gpu upgrade for now, funds are slim.

atm I just play the new cod

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

The thing with gaming is to buy the best gpu you can that your cpu can support with your monitor. Your cpu is fine for now, if you use a better monitor you will be able to utilize a $700 gpu. A 3060ti seems to be what you're looking for as far as budget and performance goes. The 6700xt went up $100 since I last posted so isn't an ideal choice atm.

Using a better monitor will take the load off your cpu and put it onto your gpu. Monitors are cheap af when you are looking at 1440p or 4k 60fps.

I've still got those decent ram sticks (16GB kit) here for you :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah man that seems like a reasonable step to take without breaking the bank and upgrading everything. Even that upgrade is a decent chunk of change but will be night and day better than what you have now.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You'll spend double that for a decent setup very freaking easily ;)

Get a 1440p high refresh rate monitor with that GPU and you'll be in heaven. Something like this would be perfect.

Edited by Puffwagon
Stupid autocorrect

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Nah not really, the idea is to match the GPU with the monitor so you have high enough fps to make it smooth (60fps), but not too high that it causes screen tearing, above the monitor's max refresh rate.

Gsync is for NVIDIA GPUs, freesync for AMD but they all work with each other anyway.

As long as you run somewhere between 60fps and the max refresh rate, you don't need vsync enabled in the game settings, as the game will play smoothly anyway.

That's the basic version, Google for more details if you wanna see how it works.