Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Here's you guys with your big PC builds, meanwhile I've gone tiny with my latest PC purchase - a NUC8i5BEK:

rYf8u9D.jpg

Literally smaller than my hand:

gYra3Fd.jpg

Have bought some other PC related things recently though. Since I've offloaded my Plex server and other associated duties to the NUC, I've set my main PC up as a more dedicated music recording station:

YSwmsS0.jpg

Have a bit of a strange issue with the NUC rnadomly freezing if I leave the HDMI cable attached to it. Since my monitors aren't super new they only have a single DVI input, so I've setup a HDMI switch so I could toggle between my PC and NUC and then ran a HDMI to DVI cable out of the switch. Works fine with PC, but NUC seems to be not happy about something (tried all the troubleshooting tips and tricks I can find for it on the net, still no luck)...but unplugging the HDMI cable from the back it has resulted in zero freezes. So there's some sort of graphics gremlin, but whetever, I can just Windows Remote Desktop into it if/when I need to do anything on it, so no big deal really.

The little NUC is a bit of a beast as a Plex server though! Have a PlexPass so running hardware transcoding, but it'll happily transcode a 4K HDR movie to 1080p without breaking a sweat (I.e. <50% CPU), so I'm pretty stoked with that! Everything in my house direct plays anyway, so it's not going to be too problematic, but nice to know I have the overhead.

Edited by .Stripes.
  • Like 5

I started off trying to give Linux a crack on the NUC...but quicly realised I really couldn't be bothered trying to learn an entirely new ecosystem. I'm already busy trying to learn Python and new recording stuff and possibly some music theory soon...so I decided meh and repurposed a Windows 10 license from an old laptop that was gathering dust and had the whole thing up and running within a few hours.

NUC's are HEAPS easier than standard PC builds haha. Just put in the m2 drive and RAM and BOOM, done - time to install the OS.

• Like 1

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

cos Microsoft have had more than its fair share of my money I use this method for win 10

easy to do and it works

all you need to do is download the ISO file from the Microsoft website, follow this lads instructions and hey presto 

Edited by bloodycrashboy

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

I see you are still rocking your Antec case @.Stripes.

the micro-ITX I just built Mrs BCB relegated my Antec case to the shed

has tidied up her area a bit now..........

.......................................................................but not as tidy as yours bro :beerchug:

uf7ybFW.jpg

iI61xQH.jpg

tqoP9FT.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I only recently got inspired to tidy it all up. Getting monitor stands and the stands for the speakers really neatened everything up and gave me a lot more usable desk space, which was nice. 

That micro itx build looks cool - I was toying with the idea of doing something like that instead of the NUC, but once I started reading how well the onboard GPU of the series 8 NUC did with plex transcoding I figured I'd save some cash and desk space. Cable management for your micro itx build looked about as much fun a job as fixing aircon ducting 🤣

• Haha 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d
2 hours ago, bloodycrashboy said:

cos Microsoft have had more than its fair share of my money I use this method for win 10

easy to do and it works

all you need to do is download the ISO file from the Microsoft website, follow this lads instructions and hey presto 

FFS I can't understand a word he said. In plain english please.

Also anyone in Perth have a spare Case they don't need?