Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

When I was complaining about it last night I did a fast.com test and it was going 33Mbit so maybe it's been sorted in that regard? It drops out all the farken time though which is annoying.

I'm on fixed wireless and there is fark all chance of any fibre here in the next 10 years. A town 18km away has got it but fark me though rite?!

In other news;

I oc'd my computer like a mofo today with a portable aircon sealed up with cardboard and tape. I managed 4.9Ghz on the cpu and 2164Mhz on the gpu!!! I went for 5Ghz and 2176Mhz but something shat itself, killed the bios again (it was flashing and had snow through it), killed the ethernet adapter and long story short had to remove the gpu, ram, nvme drive and get it all booted in different slots to get it working again... then set up the everyday oc again. Fml it took ages to fix lol.

I got a pretty decent score on timespy though :gamer: Haha 9420 :pimp:

• Haha 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d
20 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I got a pretty decent score on timespy though :gamer: Haha 9420 :pimp:

Am bored tonight and feel like tinkering so might have a play.

Here's one I prepared earlier

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/5312106/spy/2066647#

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Fair enough ay. I've been frigging around with mine for long enough now that I know where it's rock solid, where it'll go when pushed a bit and today, where it'll go with a bit of assistance. There's a lot of time invested there. 

I did a gpu bios mod recently which has helped massively. It'll game at 2114Mhz all day long on air even if it is a bit toasty in the mid 70s.

I also liquid metalled the gpu and the cpu which was a bit underwhelming all said and done. 

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
7 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I also liquid metalled the gpu and the cpu which was a bit underwhelming all said and done. 

Am tossing up doing that to the lappy.

Given the fact that none of them get stressed more than netflix lately though there's not much motivation :(

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No need then ay. It barely affected my idle temps but did pull a lot off the top. 

What laptop are you thinking of doing?

A laptop is a lot more thermally constrained than a desktop so you might be pleasantly surprised, especially if you have ever run into throttling issues. 

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
Just now, Puffwagon said:

What laptop are you thinking of doing?

17", 4K, 7820 CPU, 1080 GPU Alienware A17r4

Gets a bit hot and throttles when I push it ;)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Give it a go mate. Do your research etc so the laptop and heatsinks don't get damaged and you should be sweet.

The stuff is a bit pricey but if it helps out then it'll be worth it. 

I found that the conductonaut kit I bought only really had enough in it to do the cpu and gpu. There is very little left over. 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

I prefer the safety of non-conductive thermal pastes personally but me and a mate both delidded our chips and his result with liquid metal was much better than the result I had with some thermal paste (I aint re-delidding my chip anytime soon though as temps are fine).

id say the laptop will still get rather hot afterwards but I haven't seen any that haven't benefited from having the thermal paste re-applied so give it a go if you're keen as puff said.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I just plugged in my AMD HD6870 gpu and am downloading drivers atm. The resolution is stuck at 1024x768 right now but should be good for some AAA title 1440p goodness any moment.

Also apparently there is something you can do where you use an nvidia card to drive the game and an amd card to output it so I can use freesync on my monitor. I'll have to look that up.