Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• Member For: 10y 4m 9d

its really not that difficult and there are couple of different methods. Selecting the correct mobo, cpu and ram as well as knowing the limitations of the setup are key.

I have an haswell i5 4570 non K at 3.6ghz and have short burst at 4gz. Yes it is actually possible to overclock a non K processor but the multipliers are limited. FSB method can be used but the reason intel didnt make them "k's" and leave the multipliers unlocked is they know they are unstable at higher clocks. From my understanding they dont manufactuer Ks and non Ks specifically its determined in testing if they will be suitible. Or they are the same cpu and they literally charge you a bucket load more for just leaving it unlocked...But I have genuinely found mine unstable past 4ghz at like 80c well before thermal throttling.

If you want to go nuts like 8ghz you will need liquid nitrogen and its retarded. Good liquid cooler and correct parts will see a reasonable increase in clock speeds

• Like 2

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

With my Z97 rig I initially had an intel G3258 (unlocked 3.5ghz dual core) for some fun and also cause it was only $90 got that upto 4.5ghz at 1.32v. I pushed it to 4.7ghz but I wasn't comfortable with the voltage.

Current chip I didn't even touch the voltage for stable 4ghz, been like that for about 8 months. I need a bigger cooler and believe this chip is good for 4.2-4.4ghz.

Currently runs corsair H55, this is a H110i that I want to fit but I was thinking of doing a custom watercooling setup with a triple 120mm radiator front mounted :rockon:

47uLnvX.jpg

I need to dig up photos of @SteveR 's computer, quite like how he had to cut his case to fit the new graphics card and think he should show off his IT man handywork :P

Edited by johnxr6t
  • Like 1

Yeah my ivy bridge was at 4.2ghz without doing anything other than a multiplyer on the standard boxed cooler. Ran like a dream. 

Built it for over clocking and never did apart from the msi auto overclock. Ivy bridge is old but gold

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d
28 minutes ago, Ford Freak said:

anyone here good with over clocking? 

here are the basics

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198882/overclocking_for_newbies.html

• Member For: 10y 3m 22d

Got my 4770k @ 4.8 with 1.28v 24/7, using an x61 nzxt kraken water cooler for the cpu. Overclocked everything ive owned since my celeron 300... like turning up the boost just nerdier and much less exciting. Can help if you need but the guides you'll find around are a better source of info

• Like 3

Overclocker forums are a good source too.. plenty of info on the interwebs

Edit: 245 of 252 updates. Home stretch! Been going for like 6hrs:/

Edited by mightbuyaford

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 4d
22 hours ago, luke187 said:

Got my 4770k @ 4.8 with 1.28v 24/7, using an x61 nzxt kraken water cooler for the cpu. Overclocked everything ive owned since my celeron 300... like turning up the boost just nerdier and much less exciting. Can help if you need but the guides you'll find around are a better source of info

yer I have the i5 4690k. would like to try o/c for more boost when gaming now that im getting back into it. I think the graffix card is a gtx 960. just a cheap build. 

playing gta needs a boost ahahha