F6 Intake runners oil residue/ deposits

megatron

• Member For: 7y 9m 21d

Hi there peeps,

Just picked up me first turbo car about a month back, an F6. So thought I'd clean out the throttle body today and I noticed some oil residue/ deposits in the intake runner and was wondering is the amount normal? She's done 42000kms if that helps. 

Thanks

image_zpslvisjirn.jpeg

Edited by megatron

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

That's totally normal. Have a read of this thread to understand why (yeah, I know, it's quite a read, but worth it) http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/49463-oil-catch-can/

Thanks mate, have a much better idea now. Have something to do this weekend now :buttrock: 

Side note, do you think them foaming intake cleaner like http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Foaming-Air-Intake-Cleaner-150g.aspx?pid=288071#Recommendations would get much out or hurt the sensor at the start of the plenum? Thinking of spraying it in before the throttle body while me mate revs it. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

I wouldn't use something like that. Just wipe it clean with a cloth that doesn't leave anything in the runners, if you're desperate to clean it. It'll end up like that not long after anyway due to the reasons outlined in that thread I linked in my previous post.

It's fine to leave it the way that it is, imho.

True, in that case I"ll just liberally spray some TB cleaner on a cloth the end of a coat hanger or something and just get what I can. But will definitely be investing in a catch can now, planning to keep her for eons to come.