Mattys Diy Budget Engine Build

MattyP

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Cue Ratter.....

Matt, probably goes without saying, but give the rusty cylinders and once over with some wet and dry and see what the pitting is like before spending and $'s on it

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 10y 3m 21d

Nice mate, something along the lines of what we're doing with my car. I have a 50,000km set of fg f6 pistons and rods if you're looking for something cheap.

Squish / quench's also plays a big part in atomisation of fuel creating a better burn as well as cooling the cc. Hard part is finding where its happiest, too little and you'll get hot spots which can lead to detonation. Not sure how that applies with e85 and its massive headroom for knock though.

What compression you think you'll go after? Likely to go 10's on mine

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

Hey mate

I've put this build possibly on the back burner as im considering getting rid of the g6

I may just build it for the fun

Ideally id love a dedicated e85 engine for a possible future project car (thinking ex taxi race car), should have just got an ecolpi short block and be done with 

These pistons are 10.5 to 1. Might end up selling them though as well

Quench is a hard one, With petrol I wouldnt raise the comp above standard, Its such a perfect setup for a daily imo, however on e85 I think you'd have to be doing something insanely stupid to get it to knock. 

If I was to go through with the 12 to 1 build id be adding water injection as well as e85 to keep everything nice and safe. The problem with these low comp pistons is your not getting  the full benefits of e85, especially around town. With the higher compression of 12 to 1 you would start to get close to the efficiency of petrol at cruise (I'm not saying youd get all the way there but much better compared to the low comp standard pistons)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 7m 7d

Just to further ad to our previous conversations on my engine build post Mat... My last car ... An r31 RB30t... I built it with CP NA forgies... Tuner couldn't run more than 8psi on 98... Few people said the tuna was the problem, but in the end I ended up running E85 full time... I'd bet you'd hav to do the same ... Forget risking 98 Mat 

• Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Not sure about 12/1 but higher compression works wonders on  e85. You can throw in more boost and timing with E85 so with the higher comp = more power. Nizpro have been doing sneaky comp engines for 10 years. Our Nizpro car has high comp pistons, which does kill the 98 power (just on 400), but once on E85 will get close to 500. Not bad for factory ford turbo...

• Member For: 14y 7m 7d
10 hours ago, IH8TOADS said:

Why go high comp?  It just limits what you can do with the car. Stick with 8.5 comp IMO and let your turbo do what it's designed to do. 

After the hassles I went thru... Absolutely... I reckon I wud hav squeezed extra KW with the low Comp + extra boost