FG XR6T

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m

Guys,

My FG seems like its lost some punch... was wondering whether the spark plugs could be causing this drop in performance.

The car has done around 126,000KMS and the plugs have never been changed...could the plugs be causing this lack of acceleration urgency?

I always assumed worn plugs would missfire etc...

I also have read that with new cars the voltage can be increased to accommodate a worn out spark plug...

I have ordered genuine ones from Ford, but they seem to be scarce at the moment and no Ford dealers currently stock them. (they're on back order)

Is there anything else that would cause a gradual decline in performance?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

spark plugs could definitely do that if you haven't changed them in 120,000km...

Plenty of other things could cause a gradual decrease in performance.

As above, the easy things to check are air filter, fuel filter, boost control solenoid, rust on coil packs, dirty throttle body, collapsed cat etc :)

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Use SK20R7 plugs, no problems with stock levels...

Just need a custom tune to suit the 7mm gap ;)

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

It's what I was told as well about mine.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

I believe I had a cracked exhaust housing on my BA. I reckon it was cause I'd rip skids and sh*t as a stupid P plater then stop the engine moments later so the thing really didn't get a chance to warm up and cool down. I remember how well it ran after I had XFT tighten all of the bolts....by the time I got home it ran like a dog again. Yeah I did tighten the bolts immediately before selling it but a car dealer bought it so f*ck him. 

On my BF I was missing a stud and nut to the dump pipe which the mechanic replaced and everything is holding up leak free for about 1000ks so far.

Definitely start with the plugs but maybe if it still isn't perfect you could do the boost solenoid maintenance (search it on this forum), then if it's still not right I'd pull the turbo heat shields off and check the bolts. I had my mechanic check the turbo bolts for me when I got my BF because I'm lazy but in future I'll do it myself.

Edited by johnxr6t