dayjunkie

Cam timing solenoids

Hey T junkies, 

Anyone know if I can remove the 2 cam timing solenoids for cleany just by removing rocker cover and without removing the entire cam assembly,,,because that would really suck. 

which but would really suck,,,,,,removing just the rocker cover or,,,,,,removing the cam assembly?

either way rocker cover off only. 

The cam assembly would be a real hassel to remove,  I just want to make certain the solenoids arent stickin or clogged, its 1 of the last checks to solve my ongoing intermittent 'Cam position Timing over-retard fault'.

very easy to remove.

If you're lucky and have the early style with no retaining bracket they will slide out without removing the recover cover.

If you're getting cam timing faults codes and not came solenoid errors it's more likely a timing chain issue so it would pay to remove the rocker box either way to verify cam timing.

Thanks mate, pickin up a gasket now, im hoping solenoids unbolt and slide in and out without any complications.

Hope its not a chain, heard gotta drop engine to do, might be time to get another bank loan and put Atomic Short engine in.

Edited by dayjunkie

You're talking about the 2 in the front of the cover?

I had similar codes come up and one of the sensors has split, knocked it back together and problem fixed.

thanks mate, not sure how this is possible but my sprokets in that position are 180 degrees out to the the yellow links.  Sprokets in that position match balancer alignment though.

I had billet chain , pump gears, replaced 8 years ago so its possible that mechanic measured time from another angle.

Another crack it tomoz probably got another rotation left to spanner around...

37 iirc and my arms remember haha 

keep spinning buddy if there lined up at that point they will eventually line up at TDC 

pretty close mate few mm out

do you know if this spring on the chain tensioner could contribute to the 'cam positon timeing over re-tard faults ' I get.  this fault P1383 , P1388, recurring faults sometimes on idle , sometimes the moement I start it, and other times it seems when the car warms up with 20kms driving. It cuts power back and if ya up it feels like its surging and gutless, I have to reset the faults with the X2 each time.  The only thing left to check is the fuel circuit.

IMG_1558 2.jpg

yes, few different types though, as I found after a wrecker tore open an xr6t engine to grab some out for us! but the set of two will be the same..I'm 99% sure.

You can clean em but one of mine didn't have continuity.

Edited by skidxr6t