BA MK2 XR6 Turbo Clicking Noise at Idle

nobb91

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d

The two pulleys that get noisy are easy enough to replace.

Photo guide (search on here for BA8A617A if the link doesn't work):  

You also need to replace that missing coil cover bolt.  If any water goes on top of that coil cover then it will go straight through that hole and into one of the spark plug recesses.  Resulting in coil cover, etc, having to come off to get the water out.  Car will run on 5 cylinders if water gets down there.

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Member For: 8y 22d
19 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Ticking noise up top is the injectors. Totally normal. Your idler pullies sound pretty ordinary though.

is it really? I am sure the sound wasn't there before and just randomly has appeared. anyway to fix?

19 hours ago, k31th said:

:stupid: pulleys sound farked...

yeah going to have to get the car looked at again since the last mechanic thinks everything was normal *sigh*

2 hours ago, PhilMeUp said:

The two pulleys that get noisy are easy enough to replace.

Photo guide (search on here for BA8A617A if the link doesn't work):  

You also need to replace that missing coil cover bolt.  If any water goes on top of that coil cover then it will go straight through that hole and into one of the spark plug recesses.  Resulting in coil cover, etc, having to come off to get the water out.  Car will run on 5 cylinders if water gets down there.

okay you talking about the missing headbolt? 

thanks for your inputs everyone much appreciated. hopefully take it to a decent mechanic that will be able to work it out.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 28d

Have you changed brands of fuel recently? 

Re the coil cover bolt, I wouldn't stress about water ingress unless you are regularly fording flood waters or intentionally introducing high pressure streams of water 

• Member For: 8y 22d
15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Have you changed brands of fuel recently? 

Re the coil cover bolt, I wouldn't stress about water ingress unless you are regularly fording flood waters or intentionally introducing high pressure streams of water 

Yeah current tank has 98 and last tank had 95 otherwise always ran it on 98 myself.

okay so dont worry to much about the missing bolt? not to keen on water getting in there.

need to take it to a mechanic and get a good proper check over bought the car pretty cheap and keen on some mods but want to make sure the motor is okay before start forking out the $$$

thanks again :)

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d
3 hours ago, nobb91 said:

okay so dont worry to much about the missing bolt? not to keen on water getting in there.

There's no problem with the missing coil cover bolt unless water gets sprayed on top of the engine.  

I wash my engine bays every few months (ie each car) so for me it's all about stopping water getting past those bolts.  I've found that heat-proof o-rings do fairly well at that.

The way that water will get onto your motor is if some workshop person washes the engine bay (or you do).  

If you've got a 5mm allen key then consider grabbing the bolt from the rear right hand side (ie middle of the photo below) and putting that in instead.  

BF_Falcon_Spark_Plug_Replacement_10_4_11

What's underneath the coil cover - six coils.  If water gets past the coil cover then it goes into the holes.   

Then you have to remove the coil cover and get the water out.

I know a little bit about this.   :crybaby:

BF_Falcon_Spark_Plug_Replacement_13_4_11

More photos here if you're curious about what's there: