Barra intake manifols - Back to back testing

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

I have recently been made aware, of the development of a new intake manifold for our beloved Barra's. Development is well advanced, with  a 3D printing version (PLA) being scheduled for completion next week. This is to ensure correct fitment, prior to the first units being manufactured. Manufacturing will commence as soon as practicable...

During my conversations with the  developer, I managed to convinced him to do back to back testing of  all the aftermarket (And standard FG) intake manifolds. Despite great costs involved, he has kindly offered to share the results with the community once completed. In saying that, he wants to ensure that the testing will result in accurate and irrefutable data.

Currently, the following brands/models will be tested:

Hypertune
Plazmaman Race series
Plazmaman XR6 plenum
Process West plenum, and
FG Xr6t plenum.

*  We would greatly appreciate a loan of a Nizpro manifold.. As we would like to add it to the list. If that helps ease the mind of potential sources, please know that I am loaning my Plazmaman race series plenum for testing....

To ensure accuracy, testing will be carried out on an engine dyno, as this will be  easiest and fastest method of changing the manifolds. It will also ensure that there are no disputes regarding dyno ramp rates and ensure that tyre slippage is eliminated.  A Motec EMS will be used, with EGT's  fitted to each exhaust runner, to monitor individual cylinder temperature (All data logged). An air  temperature sensor will be fitted to the cold side of the intercooler piping and logged.  Cam, ignition advance  and fuel pressure will be set and not modified for the duration of the testing (logged also). Boost will be gate pressure only.

Given that each manifold will have varying efficiency, only the base fuel map will be modified to achieve the correct target  AFR, for all manifold testing. Injectors will be batch fired with zero trim and other than some minor intercooler piping changes, nothing else will be changed....... 

All data will be logged, correlated and screenshots uploaded for all to see.

We think that we have come up with  a fair and unbiased testing methodology, but we would like  input on areas that may be improved.

• Like 9

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 25d

Sounds very interesting, good to get some proper numbers. If things change and interested in B series stock manifold for comparison I would offer mine up (located NSW?). It's just collecting dust.

I am very interested in the results also. It will likely stir up a hornets nest though. that's why we wanted to allow people to view the methodology and request changes...

Thanks for the offer, but I cannot foresee any changes to the current testing format.

Edited by HI PSI
  • Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Great idea but I feel you won't be embarking on the holly grail in this test as I believe all these aftermarket plenums have been tested enough to have a sufficient gain over stock flow and are probably all very close enough to each other.

I don't think there will be anything greater than maximum 5% from the worst performing aftermarket item to the best performing 

I'd love to be wrong though

I also feel the target boost needs to be at least 20psi and as far as you can go !! 

Exactly the kind of feedback that I was after...  Thanks JET.

We debated the boost parameters and we thought that by running gate pressure, that we would eliminate any preconceptions that the testing could be manipulated or tampered..  From what I gather, the test engine will be running a very big turbo, so  your suggestion of more boost might highlight any abnormalities.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

Alot of manifolds do tend to favor cylinders

My stock celicas intake manifold favors cylinder 2+3 and 1+4 get left out

Looking at the fg one im suprised it doesnt favor 3+4