*HELP PLEASE* FG MkII Manual transmission issue

Boosturd

• Member For: 8y 1m 21d

Hi guys,

First time poster but have been stalking the forums for a number of months now.  Recently sold my Ba falcon and have upgraded to a 2013 manual FG MkII..

I noticed yesterday a new noise in my transmission, it sounds like a very slight grind, almost like something catching.  This only happens when and results in:

- Car is in gear with the clutch pushed in

- Car is moving forward/back.  Pushing it causes this intermittent noise to start periodically

- Time between noises increases the higher gear it is in.  For example twice per foot in 1st, once every 2 feet in 6th

- I can feel a very slight vibration with this noise through my shifter if I hold it

A guy I trust with mechanical issues has told me that it most likely isn't a pressure plate or driveline issue.

Any help/past experience any of you have had with anything similar to this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Member For: 13y 3m 11d

I can confirm it isn't rollover noise. Rollover noise is just a rattle at idle with the clutch OUT, or at <1000rpm rpm in gear.

As per your second point and as you have already indicated, it seems to be gear related rather than RPM (pressure plate) or road speed(driveline). I would as a first port of call replace the gearbox oil with the Penrite stuff which is relatively inexpensive. I use mainlube, but it's expensive as sin and if it turns out it doesn't resolve the issue and you need to drop the brand new oil it will be a big $$$ waste.

Good luck finding out what it is!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 8y 1m 21d
On 3/23/2016 at 11:21 AM, sd1800 said:

I can confirm it isn't rollover noise. Rollover noise is just a rattle at idle with the clutch OUT, or at <1000rpm rpm in gear.

As per your second point and as you have already indicated, it seems to be gear related rather than RPM (pressure plate) or road speed(driveline). I would as a first port of call replace the gearbox oil with the Penrite stuff which is relatively inexpensive. I use mainlube, but it's expensive as sin and if it turns out it doesn't resolve the issue and you need to drop the brand new oil it will be a big $$$ waste.

Good luck finding out what it is!

Cheers for your replies PTR and sd

I think putting some expensive oil is definitely a good idea and at the top of my priorities.  I do get a small amount of rollover noise but nothing half as bad as I have heard on other cars so I'm hoping new oil will fix that right up.  As for progress I will update anything that I find out but don't know how long that will take as its only noisy in confined spaces (like pulling into my garage) so I'm not overly concerned, it is just a bit annoying.

• 3 months later...
  • Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 29d

Ok, there is rollover noise, but usually it's audible in neutral / clutch depressed.

Stock clutch had this / aftermarket clutch with billet slave cylinder had this. So it was definitely the box.

I used redline shockproof yellow and it quietened it down a touch. But my old tr6060 was a war veteran, haunted beat up on past with recurring issues in its later years lol