Rotors question

TurboDewd

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 20y 8m 22d

I have an 08 XR6T with standard brakes for the model. Are there any weight savings to be had by going for DBA or other rotors? Are the materials different? I dont do track work so Im happy with the braking, but wouldnt mind a modest upgrade to the brakes as long as the weight is reduced.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

if you want to reduce weight on these boats go some light weight wheels instead. 

if your not doing track work not sure why your worried about saving weight :/

a DBA 4000 T3 upgrade will be worthwhile but like you said your already happy with the braking? 

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

What he said...you'll gain much more from a lightweight rim upgrade.  See if you can get 8kg per rim :)  I had my eye on SSR Type-C RS when I was shopping.

DBA T3 are the go, but pads make the most obvious difference.  Crowd favourite at the moment is Project Mu NS400 (street pad).  Lower dust and still decent performance even pulling it up from big speed. Take a tony bit of heat to get going in my experience.  On a freezing morning they aren't at peak perfromance for the first stop from what I found.  After that it's all fine though.

If you never drive it at high speed you'd probably want a pad with really high initial bite though.  These can be dusty however.  I've used QFM HP-X and also Remsa pads with good street results in the past (Brembo size Remsa pads actually did the job on an airstrip slowing rapidly from 230kmh to about 50kmh) but they are dusty.

Edited by -Stever-

• FG Falcon fan!
  • Member For: 20y 8m 22d

Ive done 160,000km and am very close for pad replacement, thought I may as well replace rotors too rather than have them machined.  Nothing to stop me getting lighter wheels AND lighter rotors.  Ill visit the DBA website.  what do the stock rotors weigh?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 3d

160,000kms from one set of rotors? And still enough thickness for a machine? 

My one piece of advice.....if your car is stock, don't get RDAs just because they are cheap....they will make a grinding/scraping type noise whenever you drive near walls/buildings. It sh*t me no end....seems the only ones who don't notice have loud exhausts. This is my personal experience with RDAs on FG Sedan....(apparently other cars the noise doesnt happen).

If monies tight, I'd go T2 rotors instead of the T3s....

• Donating Members

I guess the T3's might be lighter since they are vented (the centre/internal space between the two surfaces has air channels in it to aid cooling).  External dimensions will be almost identical to stock rotors I imagine, or they wouldn't fit in!  Different metal composition would make a slight change but bugger all.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

1kg of rotational mass in a rim = ~3kg of body mass to roll forward. Yes I know it's only a few kg over all, but you don't see race teams using over weighted components when they don't have to

• Donating Members

So what you're saying is the more dangerously thin my brakes are, the faster my car can go!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 2