F6 Ignition Timing - FG vs BF

Benny-4000

• Member For: 16y 1m 13d

I have noticed that there is significant differences in ignition timing between a standard 2007 F6 BF and a standard 2009 F6 FG.

The load scales are different, but the FG igntion table is quite a bit more advanced in most areas of the table.

Given that the FG F6 runs slightly higher boost than the BF F6, I would have thought that if anything the F6 FG would have had less ignition advance than the BF.

It looks to me like the the F6 FG assumes a higher octane rating in the borderline knock table (ie 98RON fuel), will pull the timing back through knock retard if 91RON or 95RON is used and will recover the timing back to the borderline knock table if  98RON is used afterwards.

Is there is a difference between the F6 BF & F6 FG engines that allows this timing increase while still keeping a conservative timing table?

Or is the F6 FG ignition tables just optimised to take better advantage of 98RON than the F6 BF?

2007 std f6 borderline knock.png

2009 std f6 borderline knock.png

2007 std f6 borderline knock.png

2009 std f6 borderline knock.png

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

" The compression ratio has been reduced from 8.7:1 to 8.47:1 to allow optimum compromise between turbo boost and spark timing, resulting in improved overall engine efficiency and driveability. "

• Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d
Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

" The compression ratio has been reduced from 8.7:1 to 8.47:1 to allow optimum compromise between turbo boost and spark timing, resulting in improved overall engine efficiency and driveability. "

^Applicable to FG F6

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said: