Happy medium between gtx76r and gtx82r?

grimie16

• Member For: 9y 8m 9d

Looking at upgrading the turbo later this year on my g6et. All supporting mods complete, now looking to go that little bit further. I'm after around 370rwkw - 390rwkw on pump fuel as there isn't to much rocket fuel where I am. From all the reading I've done, most 76's end up around 360 on 98. I've read about a few outliers like BenDoCo's 76r, who cracked the 400 mark on pump fuel, however, I'm just going off the majority of results. 

Obviously, I want to keep the car punchy, hence not going straight for the gtx3582r and highly considering the gtx3576r. I've ridden in both cars, a 350rwkw 76r, which was just missing that little bit up top, and a 420rwkw 82r which was just to laggy for what I'm looking for as I aIm to have a decent street car. 

I've read a few HTA options are quite good, but has anyone been down the same path before, or had any experience with a turbo that will get me what I want? Cheers. 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 28d

pics or links?

Divided rear housing and quick spool valve? what size is the A/R thingy that you suggest? I assume choosing one smaller than Ford 1.06 makes it spool quicker right?

Looks weird (Borg Warner version but was in a GTX2971 thread - so just assume ours would be a bigger version of this?) 

129433d1418795864-new-garrett-turbos-gtw

• Member For: 10y 6m 24d

Here's a pic of a quick spool valve straight from Google.

86101a20f1b6753aaa4dd7b98fbf923a.jpg

Another of a divided rear housing straight from Google.647c1b183ce22e04b7da96d8851dcbee.jpg

Place these 2 together and you will have the fastest spooling 3582 around. Will also destroy all gearbox component with how hard and fast it will come on boost.

Here is a Dyno sheet of a car I played with this type of setup on. It's a stock EB SOHC China j pipe turbo kit, China t63 turbo I think it was with a 1.06 rear housing. This car just had a plate blocking one half of the turbo no actual valve to change over when it reaches full boost so top end power was getting held back a lot but bottom end it made huge torque and came on so hard it was scary to drive.fa25f4d4139b615b9c6bcca4908bd129.jpg

• Like 2

No sorry I don't I did that car back before powercruise last year it was 2am and I had to work the next day was just a slap it together and make it go for powercruise for a mate. Im stuck up at work ATM could possibly pull some of the rest of the data off the Dyno next time I am home. Won't have a good rpm trace though as it kept falling out of the back of the injector that's why it's on roadspeed. That car doesn't have the valve to open when it reaches full boost only has a plate with one side of the turbo entry cut into it.

• Member For: 9y 8m 9d
1 hour ago, eff xr6t said:

The quick spool valve is essentially changing the A/R of the turbo that's why it spool up a lot harder.

So if you're essentially making a smaller rear surly you'd be loosing some up top? 

Anyone had experience with this on a barra before? 

Yes it will loose some up top if you hold the valve closed. That's why it has a actuator on it so it opens when it reaches desired boost then the full a/r of the turbo is used. The best of both worlds.

GTX3576r + 100shot FTW (yes i've thought about it)