Low compression on No. 5 cylinder and rough idle

Vipir

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d
17 minutes ago, Vipir said:

See? Proof I am mechanically inept! I was thinking the whole kit and kaboodle had to go down together. I didn't even think about just the engine by itself!

Duh!

That is great advice and I will talk to my mechanic when he gets the quote. He won't be doing the rebuild, but I bet he'll be making sure everything is perfect for me.

You aren't inept. If you knew nothing at all then you would be inept! You knew enough to get your car checked and fixed and that is more than some folks. 

As long as someone is genuinely looking out for you then you should be fine.

IMO and others will agree, a turbo short block or a rebuild will be your better options at this stage.

• Member For: 13y 7m 19d
32 minutes ago, barnz said:

brand new f6 long 6k. then labour your mechanic charges. Ford definitely wont help? they might be able to help with that 6k a bit? not sure what an fg service engine costs havent seen any for sale.

otherwise if your going to get a motor rebuilt it should be done by one of the pros as others have mentioned if you want atleast factory reliability or better...then you start to get into things like "if im getting it rebuilt I may as well do better rods, pistons, girdle, all the best fastners, bearings, machining, pump gears ect ect" poof goes well over 10k by time its in the car running.

New service engine or a low k donor that your mechanic can just change over is probably the best bet.

perhaps ford will feel sorry for you and heavily discount a new long....long shot..

Also the term "lean out" means not enough fuel, which means high cylinder temps which can even lead to a hot plug/spots, thus leading to pre ignition... too lean = death basically

I don't know yet if Ford will or will not help. I am just assuming that from their corporate position they might not feel they have any obligation to help as it is not a manufacturing problem. I would like to hope they do help a little bit...maybe my mechanic can push the "widow with 3 young children" line and see where that gets us?

At this stage I do not know what their attitude will be.

Everything else is fine, mechanically (should be! New rear diff bushes, joint cover arm, front shocks, 4 x brand new tyres...) and if there is no damage to anything else I would prefer not to modify as I do not drive Vipir to his full power. The fastest I have been is 220km/h, and usually I drive along the back roads at 110km/h. I go respectfully up and down through the gears, don't ride the clutch, don't touch the brakes much, don't bag the engine...I got him because he looked good and not because of his capabilities.

So, to reiterate: I don't know what Ford will say. Let's just hope they do take pity on a lady who is working to provide for her family because her husband died nearly 6 years ago. I am lifelong Ford owner, always service my cars with Ford, would encourage my kids to make their first car either a Focus or a Fiesta. My blood cells are blue ovals. What more can I say?

Pray for a break to come my way. This has just turned into a nightmare...

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

220! That's higher than a lot of people here have probably taken their rides.

I've seen 230 three times in about 2 hours but I got to do that on a runway :) (with only 500m braking distance though!).

Fingers and toes crossed.

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m

Had the blue taxi off the dial for a few seconds 250k limiter disabled.

Too boaty and had to back off any way as tarmac was running out:ermm:

• Donating Members

Spruce Goose FTW

• Member For: 13y 7m 19d

Guess what?

My baby is getting a new long engine. Ford Australia are contributing towards some of the cost and I will pay the rest. 

Brand new, shiny, never-been-used-ever-before-by-anyone-ever, sparkly lovely new engine with all its dangly bits included.

My mechanic didn't want to combine old and new parts and felt that if everything is new we know where we're starting from if something goes pear-shaped.

So, my baby will come home, sometime, an invalid who needs to be nurtured and cared for, but with a lovely new engine.

I will post a picture of him when he comes home.

I am so relieved.

Thank you for all your contributions. They gave me points of reference to discuss options and encouraged me to study more about my car and how it works. Ignorance is no excuse and if I drive it, I should know more about what the various bits do.  I am still not sure about what a rear diff bush does, but I got a new one of those, and what a joint cover arm does, but I got one of them, too.

The only old thing in my car will be the person driving it!

• Like 6

• Donating Members

Wow that's great to hear, congrats! :yay:

Don't baby it too much when you break it in by the way.  Maybe the first 100km or so but then just drive it normally and try to vary the loads on the engine a bit.  I've read it helps the piston rings bed in nicely against the bores and will help it to not use oil/run slightly more efficiently over time.

Must be a weight lifted from your shoulders.  Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here for you and Vipir :)