Another 044 On The Way Out?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 21y 16d

Why did I say that. My first 044 use was around 1997. Used them in a few cars. They just suffer in the heat. I can get them to run quite normal (quiet) in winter, but come summer they whine like a b-tch when used externally in a poor fuel supply setup. It is all heat related, just an old annoying pump that should not be used anymore. Back in the day it was all we had and my first one cost $550 from memory. (alot in those days). Many other better options now.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Did you check the wiring?

I checked it. There appears to be one single black wire from pump to the fuse box. It enters under the box. No relay that I can see. It looks like it must just piggy back on to the original pump relay.

So I'll fix that. How do people suggest I wore it up? My battery is on other side of the car now. I though I saw someone say the rabbit off the starter motor positive with a relay near the pump?

• 3 years later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

So update on this. I rewired the fuel pump so it gets power directly from the battery now. Did that three years ago when I did this post. Got a new 044 and It was all good till today. Now the whine is back. So I have to assume it's the heat.

Having said that, my battery is on the way out. It's dropped enough power for my aircon to stop working twice in three weeks. I've charged it up each time and it lasts a week and a half before the same issue. (I have the Kayhan unit but it apparently has the software changes to avoid the battery drain). So maybe the battery has contributed to the fuel pumps death or it's a coincidence.

Anyway, three years on, should I just go another 044 (would be my 4th one in 8 years) or is there something else on the market now that is worth considering. I have an original process west surge tank setup that it bolts into.

I am about to go in for a tune for E85 if that makes any difference. Also have 1000cc injectors but stock regulator and fuel rail.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

they're cheap enough... get another if you don't want to change your setup around a bit to accommodate a different pump.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 20d
1 hour ago, norrs said:

So update on this. I rewired the fuel pump so it gets power directly from the battery now. Did that three years ago when I did this post. Got a new 044 and It was all good till today. Now the whine is back. So I have to assume it's the heat.

Having said that, my battery is on the way out. It's dropped enough power for my aircon to stop working twice in three weeks. I've charged it up each time and it lasts a week and a half before the same issue. (I have the Kayhan unit but it apparently has the software changes to avoid the battery drain). So maybe the battery has contributed to the fuel pumps death or it's a coincidence.

Anyway, three years on, should I just go another 044 (would be my 4th one in 8 years) or is there something else on the market now that is worth considering. I have an original process west surge tank setup that it bolts into.

I am about to go in for a tune for E85 if that makes any difference. Also have 1000cc injectors but stock regulator and fuel rail.

Get the reg changed and ditch the 044 and get a pierberg..