norrs

Another 044 On The Way Out?

So 18 months ago my 044 was noisy as high pitched whine that would fluctuate in pitch. It got worse and worse and Then it stopped and was stuffed. I installed a new one 18 months ago (through mechanic so a real one) the new one was silent for the last 18 months then two weeks ago the whine started again and is getting louder by the day. It's sounds exactly like the old one before it died. Feel pressure on my gauge seems the same (if the gauge works)

So what's the go.

(A) what is killing them so quickly

(B) should I replace with a different brand that may be more reliable

Mine is on one of the original PW surge tanks. I also love in Darwin and wonder if the heat is killing them. The knot think I recently changed is my injectors to KPM 1000cc from Siemens 60lb

Is it switched by a relay directly from the battery

Not absolutely sure I assume it was just battery. I cranks when I turn the key to acc and once primed it stops then starts once car starts. How can I tell.

Also I have a check valve on it if that makes a difference.

If its wired in parallel with the intank it may be seeing volt drop. You need to check the wiring.

So apart from fixing the wiring. Does anyone suggest changing the pump to something else or should I stick with the 044 on the surge tank . I was thinking walbro 460 or dw300. I now have 1000cc injectors and would like the option to run e85

Why did I say that. My first 044 use was around 1997. Used them in a few cars. They just suffer in the heat. I can get them to run quite normal (quiet) in winter, but come summer they whine like a b-tch when used externally in a poor fuel supply setup. It is all heat related, just an old annoying pump that should not be used anymore. Back in the day it was all we had and my first one cost $550 from memory. (alot in those days). Many other better options now.

Did you check the wiring?

I checked it. There appears to be one single black wire from pump to the fuse box. It enters under the box. No relay that I can see. It looks like it must just piggy back on to the original pump relay.

So I'll fix that. How do people suggest I wore it up? My battery is on other side of the car now. I though I saw someone say the rabbit off the starter motor positive with a relay near the pump?

So update on this. I rewired the fuel pump so it gets power directly from the battery now. Did that three years ago when I did this post. Got a new 044 and It was all good till today. Now the whine is back. So I have to assume it's the heat.

Having said that, my battery is on the way out. It's dropped enough power for my aircon to stop working twice in three weeks. I've charged it up each time and it lasts a week and a half before the same issue. (I have the Kayhan unit but it apparently has the software changes to avoid the battery drain). So maybe the battery has contributed to the fuel pumps death or it's a coincidence.

Anyway, three years on, should I just go another 044 (would be my 4th one in 8 years) or is there something else on the market now that is worth considering. I have an original process west surge tank setup that it bolts into.

I am about to go in for a tune for E85 if that makes any difference. Also have 1000cc injectors but stock regulator and fuel rail.

they're cheap enough... get another if you don't want to change your setup around a bit to accommodate a different pump.

1 hour ago, norrs said:

So update on this. I rewired the fuel pump so it gets power directly from the battery now. Did that three years ago when I did this post. Got a new 044 and It was all good till today. Now the whine is back. So I have to assume it's the heat.

Having said that, my battery is on the way out. It's dropped enough power for my aircon to stop working twice in three weeks. I've charged it up each time and it lasts a week and a half before the same issue. (I have the Kayhan unit but it apparently has the software changes to avoid the battery drain). So maybe the battery has contributed to the fuel pumps death or it's a coincidence.

Anyway, three years on, should I just go another 044 (would be my 4th one in 8 years) or is there something else on the market now that is worth considering. I have an original process west surge tank setup that it bolts into.

I am about to go in for a tune for E85 if that makes any difference. Also have 1000cc injectors but stock regulator and fuel rail.

Get the reg changed and ditch the 044 and get a pierberg..

Ok so looking at a pierberg. I'm trying to work out which one. I see plazmaman is now using a 300l/hr on his surge tanks (no part number), independent motorsports has a 360lph part number EFP-485. I see people taking about 7.00228.51.0 but that looks like an internal pump???