Zf 6 Speed Best External Trans Cooler?

james747

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d
On 2/29/2016 at 7:14 PM, GeorgeGhia said:

Hi All,
I have been asking the question, "what is the recommended operating temperature for the ZF6?", for some time, today I received a personal phone call from a ZF technical representative in answer to my question.
I was driving my car and was also monitoring my transmission temperature at the time so his timing could not have been better, we had a very interesting discussion.

Here's the gist of what was discussed by phone and later email.

We discussed the details of my car, the fact that I had removed my heat exchanger from my car and had had installed a suitably sized PWR air/oil cooler mounted in front of the a/c condenser, connected to the trans with 12mm hose, without thermostat, and was averaging trans temp of 58C after ½hr driving, warm up period of 5mins to approx 35C from 23C on average.

Provided the cooler and connecting hoses are correctly sized, the fitting of an air/oil cooler to a ZF6 is not detrimental to the operation of the ZF6, and will extend the life of the transmission and fluid.

Lower running temperatures are beneficial to the life of the transmission and fluid.

ZF6 transmissions are test run at start up temperatures as low as -20C.

It is critical that ZF6 Lifeguard fluid is used.

The ZF6 generates its own heat at start up to attain minimal running temperature of 30C.

By Email:

Hi George,

Normal transmission operation for ZF 6HP26 is between 30 – 120 degrees C. Before 30 degrees C we have warm up strategy and after 120 degrees C the transmission will enter high temperature strategy (Hot mode).

Oil checking overflow level is a 40 degrees C and depending on climate normal transmission oil sump temperatures can vary between 60 and 100 degrees C.

I don't see any issues with the temperatures you are talking about providing the oil flow to the transmission has not been restricted.

As your operation temps are lower I see this as a benefit for extending the service life of the oil.

Kind regards

Your ZF Service Desk
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
88038 Friedrichshafen,Germany

So in the opinion of a qualified ZF technical representative a correctly installed air/oil cooler is beneficial to life of a ZF6 transmission and its fluid.
Cooler running temperatures as low as 30C are within the recommended operating temperatures and better for the ZF6 and Lifeguard fluid.

Very pleased to have finally got some qualified answers, thanks ZF.

Hope this information helps all my fellow forum members.

Regards, George

Also take a look here:http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11441275

"Let's eliminate the Milkshake"

Transmission service Trevor, Transdoctor
372a Settlement Rd
Thomastown,Victoria 3074
T: 0435-928-517
transdoctor@hotmail.com

Previous :
1997 Ford Fairmont Ghia EL Tickford 4L 3 Speed Auto Heritage Green
1995 Ford Falcon XL GL 4L 3 Speed Auto Silver
1979 Ford Fairmont xD Ghia 4L 3 Speed Auto Arctic Blue

I cannot see any of the new posts. BUT . The technician replied. " Before 30 degrees C we have warm up strategy and after 120 degrees C the transmission will enter high temperature strategy (Hot mode)"  As you have installed an air to oil cooler, you dont have the water to heat up the oil so no calibrated warm up for you. I still dont agree with no heat exchanger. But an extra air to oil in series to reduce the temp under extreme heat or load is a great addition.

• Member For: 8y 1m 25d

The warm up strategy has got nothing to do with the heat exchanger, it is designed into the ZF6 programming, I have been monitoring my trans temp for some time now since removing the heat exchanger and fitting the air/oil cooler, trans gets up to its optimum minimum operating temp before the engine gets to its operating temp in ambients of 5-43C. The ZF6 has been test run at minus 20C and will run happily at temperatures below its optimum minimum temp of 30C. The optimum temp range is for max efficiency. 

I am averaging trans temp of 55-60C and warms up to 30C after 3-4mins driving, The cooler running temps extend the life of the trans and its fluid.

Take a look here for full story and lots of qualified info on ZF6: 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11441275

The primary reason for fitting the cooler was to totally eliminate the risk of a "Milkshake".

Edited by GeorgeGhia

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Rubs its hands together rapidly and breathes on them

Very advanced box, not many that can do that

• Like 3

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d
I read that email as saying trans temps lower than 130deg will extend the life of the trans,not running an air/oil cooler will extend trans life. Fluid temp with a heat exchanger is maintained lower than 130deg as well. 

^^^cheats death, pretends it didnt happen. still pro exchangers

3 hours ago, julesk_1972 said:

What exactly is The warm up strategy?

Change shift patterns?

What?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Simply put - Torque converter slip is used to heat the trans fluid. 

For those who are prepared to take the blinkers off and spare us from inane comments read here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11441275

• Member For: 11y 8m 25d

Sorry Ford Forums tells me my IP is banned, or I would read it.

No blinkers here, just asking information.

If it's an issue to answer, why do you bother writing anything?

So what temp does the Warm strategy "stop it's cycle/sequence"?

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

If you plan on fitting an oil to air trans  cooler 3/8 line with 3/8 barb cooler is all that is required.  The inlet on all is 7mm and the stock ford fittings is 8mm

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11438314

9 hours ago, julesk_1972 said:

Sorry Ford Forums tells me my IP is banned, or I would read it.

No blinkers here, just asking information.

If it's an issue to answer, why do you bother writing anything?

So what temp does the Warm strategy "stop it's cycle/sequence"?

Sorry, it's not an issue to answer anyone with sensible questions/comments, some people annoy me with their stupid comments, am too old for that.

From what I can tell from my FORScan monitoring of the trans the torque converter slip appears to be less once the fluid temp gets above 30C and only happens in 1,2 and 3 gears. Gets to 30C within 3-4 mins of start up regardless of the ambient temp and gets there before the engine reaches its normal running temp.

The ZF6 monitors its internal temp and looks for an increase in fluid temp from start up, and then looks for a steady running temp, (not fluctuating greatly from one reading to the next) with a max of 120C, provided those requirements are met it will run happily from minus 20C to 120C.

Since fitting the cooler my trans is running in 40C range on short runs and 50-60C range on longer runs.

Cooler running temps are better for the trans and its fluid, and extend the life of the fluid.

Regards,George