Zf 6 Speed Best External Trans Cooler?

james747

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 28d

Can someone get Luke to explain what what happened exactly?...What was the contributing factor causing failure? Does failure mean almost milkshake?

This would suck if the heat exchanger is not as good as its made out to be...

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

I have a feeling your correct.

My car had an earth issue at the fusebox. Cue stray current and electrolytic corrosion. Luckily for me I always park the Typhoon and Pop the bonnet and let it run down to cool off.

I noticed the oil in the header tank and popped header tank cap and then shut it down and dropped the coolant and trans fluid. It appears I caught it while the trans was forcing oil into the cooling system and relieved the pressure in the cooling system before it had a chance to force it back the other way once there was no pressure in the cooler circuit.

I dropped the trans pan and there was a minuscule amount of coolant in the pan so I'm hoping i've dodged a refurb on the trans, if not it's an excuse to refresh it.

I'd still run the PWR now that I have found the issue that caused it to fail but I've gone to the effort (begrudgingly) to install the Air to Oil.

Stay tuned for honest feedback on trans performance with an air to oil vs the heat exchanger.

• Like 4

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

I think both in series is the go. Just hard to put an oil to air up the front with the intercooler in the way. If its remote it needs a FAN. This is where I put my B & M oil cooler on the F6. Fan draws air. Is 32mm thick and very similar to Ralphs Derale. Pwr std coolers are only 19mm thick

Territory setup is below. I would mount all coolers in the front on an N/A

IMG_4471_zps113bb38c.jpg

IMG_5681_zpssygc9awi.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 28d

I think both in series is the go. Just hard to put an oil to air up the front with the intercooler in the way. If its remote it needs a FAN.

But doesnt this darude kit have a fan? ^^^ Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Stay tuned for honest feedback on trans performance with an air to oil vs the heat exchanger.

I'm tuned in!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 14d

Thanks for enlightening us Ralphy, still curious why you fitted it up front as opposed to the PWR location? - just an airflow thing?

Would have saved the extra hose cost etc.

You mentioned it came with a temp switch, was this on top of the cooler price or part of the kit as it isn't mentioned in their promotional stuff, although I see they do temp switches as accessories.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Do you know where the cooler failed?

I know you said you had an electrolysis problem, did it eat a hole through the core or maybe a thin weld ?

Definitely not a good thing, can cause pitting throughout the donk :-(