Won't Make Full Boost

Bellato

• Member For: 8y 3m 16d

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Tried a new solenoid today to no avail. However, put a brand new gate on it and things changed dramatically. Running the new gate bypassing the solenoid made it run perfectly on 14psi gate pressure (I forgot to try the previous wastegate with bypassing the solenoid to see). Then hooked it up properly to the solenoid and it was making over 20psi and so pulled out, this is at about 40% throttle. My mate was thinking that the original gate might not have a 14psi spring so my tuner used the duty cycle to try get 16.5psi out of it.

Pulled apart the gate and found that the outer spring doesn't match any of the outer springs Turbosmart seller so thinking potentially a fake gate or the retailer has put a different brand spring in it. The seal on the diaphragm is also not sealing correct and has crease where it has popped off in the past. The gate has also gone completely bronze (was black) and now sure if its been overheated in its current location or they all do that?

So next step is to ring the retailer in the morning and find out what would be the go with warranty and go from there

Sounds like the gate has been pulled apart and reassembled! The pinch on the diaphragm is consistent with a failed reassembly! Im assuming it was a brand new unit?The bronzing sounds like it was leaking past the gate and causing your boost issue, OR its a fake gate.

Interesting to see how this pans out with your supplier.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 10d

Yea brand new, couldn't tell if it has been pulled apart or not. I think that the diaphragm never properly sealed from the start which would explain why there is too much duty cycle in the tune. Either that or its a fake gate as you said.

Will be making a call at lunch tomorrow to follow it up. Realistically though I can't see me getting a replacement gate before the new year

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

So just an update. Will be getting new springs and that's it, not a new gate.. Apparently turbosmart think there's nothing wrong with the gate, just the springs. Guessing I'll just have to give this a go and see what happens.. Won't get it back until the new year though. Hopefully this fixes the problem because already have to fork out for a new tune and don't want to have to do the same again in a few months time

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 8y 3m 16d

So just an update. Will be getting new springs and that's it, not a new gate.. Apparently turbosmart think there's nothing wrong with the gate, just the springs. Guessing I'll just have to give this a go and see what happens.. Won't get it back until the new year though. Hopefully this fixes the problem because already have to fork out for a new tune and don't want to have to do the same again in a few months time

Just the springs?? HMMM

I guess the re-tune will tell all!

• Donating Members

Yea hmmm was my thoughts aswell..

Will get it back early next week, put it on that weekend then following weekend it goes away for a retune. Will know soon as it goes on the car if its still stuffed, if it works all good then won't know if anything goes wrong until its retuned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Update.

Gate went back on friday night with the new springs in it. Datalogging shows it holds approximately 15psi (running gate pressure). Should be 14psi but being new springs it could be that they need a heatcycle to settle, but either way will be commanding 17psi so not an issue.

Car goes in for retune next weekend and will get it back a couple weeks later. WIll see how much duty cycle was in it before and how much will be in the new tune. Either way hope the problem is solved now

• Like 1